Corsair Community

h60 temps on i7 920 oced

steven467

I recently purchased a Corsair H60 for my i7 920 and am wondering if my temps are about right. My 920 is Oced to 4.0ghz and vcore at 1.28 stable. Im getting around 41 at idle and peak at 77c after an hour of prime 95. Im only wondering because i see people saying they get in the 20's with this cooler. Im using dual fans on it with a fan>>>rad>>>fan>> set up sucking in air. Two 140mm's up top to exhaust. Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit lower now, I exchanged my pull fan which was a 2 speed case fan for my cm 212 evo fan, idles 39-40 and temps seem to climb much slower tho I haven't ran it for a full hour yet; also is the thermal paste application the same as any other block? I put a rice sized drop of as5 in the center of the cpu and clamped the block on and yes I cleaned off the preapplied paste.

steven, do you have SpeedStep enabled, C1E, and C-States? If not, that may accounts for your higher idle temps. Another factor is your memory, if it is OC'd too, the IMC on the CPU is working harder, and if you have it's voltage tweaked up that will add a bit more to the CPU temp. There are other voltage settings, as you know, that can add to raise the CPU temp. Disabling Virtualization on the CPU, if you're not using it, will lower the CPU temp a bit. The VRMs and power system on different mother boards are always different, which can cause differences in CPU temps.

When someone says they are OC'd to whatever, and their temps are X, that is the bare minimum amount of information about the OC and configuration, and leaves out many important details. So any comparison is incomplete.

Everything is default in bios besides vcore at 1.28, qui or w/e it is right below vcore at 1.3 and dram at 1.65 and ram (corsair 16gb 4xgb4 1600) manuelly set to 9 9 9 24. Ht on or off idle temps about the same. I have a stable oc at 3.6 with vcore at 1.15 and everything default that idles only about 2-3C cooler than the 4.0ghz set up. Hope this helps, I can give more details when I get home.

Got home and realized I had misrread the dram voltage, lowered it to the recommended 1.5, idles about the same but load stayed around 68, peaked at 72. Prime 95 for 15 mins. Still think I need to reseat the block? And if so any special way I should apply it for the h60?

Only 3.6 and 1.15v thats still pretty hot. Unless you have really hot ambients. Id reseat it. My friends 860 only gets to 70° at almost 1.33v and 3.8ghz. 1156 usually runs a bit hotter than 1366 as well. You might wanna check pump rpm in hwmonitor as well... But im sure its fine ir your temps would be much worse... If you get around 70 with 4ghz id just leave it. Sorry your last post didnt say what speed you maxed at 72... If 4ghz you golden and go for 4.2 lol

I resat the block, and i'm idling at 38C atm; The pipes can really be a pain when seating this thing; And yes those temps were at 4.0ghz and pump rpm's read 4326. I got this thing from best buy so i'm still considering taking it and getting my $80 back for a H80 perhaps. Considering i'm already using a push/pull set up, would the H80 offer much of a gain? I would go for the H100 but i'm not so sure this ######## df 85 would take it. Thanks for all your help.

What are your prime temps after resetting the block ?... Would be interesting to know. Also, those are good temps for 4ghz low 70s r nice u could probably do 4.2 and max around 80 which is not to shabby. If df 85 has 2 rear fans then the h100 should fit there. But I went from h100 to h80 and I only had a 5° gain with identical fans. $80 is BRUTAL I paid 50 for mine at canadacomputers.

I idle around 35-40c and load around 74-79c. That is at 4.0ghz 168x24 wth 1.38125 vcore i7 950. When I had it at 4.2ghz 201x22 1.425 vcore my idle temps were about the same but load hit @85c. I am using push/pull CM Blademaster fans setup as exhaust. I am also using AS5 but I spread mine first using a razor blade. That is my favorite way to apply thermal paste since I know the processor is completely coated evenly.

I feel your temps are about right. You might get slightly better performance with the H80 but not much. The only way to get lower idle temps is if you enable speedstep. Of course most of the power saving modes that reduce clocks at idle don't work well when you are overclocked. I have been trying to find some information about which ones do work while overclocked but I couldn't find much info.

BTW I was also able to overclock to 4.0ghz using 192x21 1.325 vcore. At that vcore my load temps were between 68c-73c. I decided to go with 168x24 because the ram is running slightly faster at that setting and the system is stable. It does require slighlty more voltage for vcore and vtt but it is still in the safe range.

... and intel to drop the 990X prices and i'll be set ;)

Which will never happen, unfortunately, or never significantly. The current price for the i7-920 at the 'Egg, is $300 (where did they find them?), a just discontinued (EOL) CPU. That is Intel's MSRP. They have '950's and '960's for a bit less. Top end socket 775 CPUs were at their standard price until they disappeared. A 990X at even half price would be $500. For whatever reason, they are never sold at a bargain.

So i took out my h60, put my 212 evo back in and the temps are basicly the same, so i will be getting my $80 back. Would it be worth it to get the h100 to replace my evo or is the gain even worth it? i'm talking 5C to 10C worth it ;) I know there is tons of h100 graphs and reviews but if the performance of this h60 taught me anything it was that they may be off a bit. Any and all info appreciated. Thanks

The Evo 212+ is an excellent air cooler for the money. You won't see a huge difference between it and the H60, especially at idle. Under load while overclocked you should see a difference though. The H60 is definately the superior cooler when the voltage and clock speeds go up. I have the original 212+ and the H60 is definately given me better temps under load. If you overclocked your cpu to 4.2, set the voltage to @1.40 vcore and run some stress testing you will see what I mean.

Then again if the 212+ Evo is keeping your temps under 90c while overclocked and you don't need the extra room around the CPU socket then just stick with that. Also, most of us paid @50-60 for the h60. The 212+ evo is usually @35. For a few bucks more the H60 is worth it, at least for me and my setup it is.

Another thing you can do is enable speedstep once you have your overclock stable. That will drop your multi in half and lower the vcore while at idle. That should drop your idle temps by @6-8c.

uh.... unless I missed something in this thread, the OP never stated what speed the fans are running at. 100%? 5v 7v 12v? on a fan controller set manually?

FWIW, i'm running an i7 920 @ 4.2ghz (sorry, not sure on voltage, it's as low as it can go remaining stable though) with an H100, under 100% load the max temps are real low 80's. If i took the fans off of the Corsair controller and let them spin at 100% they would be louder, but the temps definately start dropping when i tried this for kicks. Gaming temps dont even hit 60c if i'm not mistaken.

My ambient room temps are somewhat high i guess, though i'm not sure what they are. i'm running this on the quiet H100 profile though, and i'm using 4 x noctua NFP12 in push/pull, and am intaking air from the top of my 800d case.

Anyhow, i guess the bottom line is that if you're not getting any benefit (less noise and/or high overclock) then stick with the CM 212+ man.

Archived