Corsair Community

GA P55M UD2 + CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 = fried mobo?

imbroco

Hey Folks,

Any help would be much appreciated here.

My desktop was a pre-built from newegg/ibuypower that I got about two or three years ago on a Black Friday sale. I've swapped out the video card before, and that was fine. The system came with 4gb of generic ram, so I had been wanting to upgrade for a while. Amazon had a daily deal over Holidays for the CMX16GX3M4A1333C9. Here's the Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054KPK9C/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Good ram for a good price, and more than enough. I checked on the corsair compatibility chart before I bought it, but my mobo didn't even pop up as an option. I also tried Google, and found nothing on the two together, so I went ahead and bought the ram (since it was on a daily deal for just a few hours and I couldn't wait for forum suggestion).

Once it came I watched a few youtube videos and read some articles on installing ram. Seemed basic enough. I used the static wristband, made sure the system was switched off and completely unplugged, then took out the old ram, and put in all 4 sticks of the new ram.

Closed it up, plugged it back in, and no video.

After a ton of tests and Google searches, it seemed to be a fried mobo (take out all the ram, power it on, fans spin on cpu and gpu, but no beeps, no video, nothing). I took the computer to a local repair shop, they did tests of their own and they seemed to have the same opinion - fried mobo. They had never heard of RAM frying a mobo, but I'm not sure what else could have happened.

The point is this: I've bought a new mobo (identical model, the GA P55M UD2) and I'm ready to take it in and have that installed.

Is there any way an incompatibility issue with this RAM could have fried my mobo? I obviously don't want to repeat history and fry this brand new mobo, but I would like to upgrade with this memory if possible, considering how much time and money it has cost me at this point..

If anyone has any information or thoughts on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to take it in to the shop tomorrow or the day after and finally get the thing fixed.

Thank you!

Ram can't fry a motherboard as it's a passive component of the system. Tried putting the old memory back into the system?

That was the first thing I tried.

If that's not possible, it must have been a freak accident then.

Thanks, I'll have them try and install the new ram along with the new mobo when I take it in then.

Archived