Corsair Community

replacing 500R fans?

dpcrush2112

So - I have a related question. I want to replace the white led fans that came with the 500R case, with blue led fans. I can't find any Corsair fans, and other brands donn't have this proprietary connector. Is this something I can do - or am I stuck with the white led fans?

Thanks madnisman - I was just hoping to keep it simple, and simply connect the new fans to the same wires that the old fans are connected to - it would have just been a snap in interface.

Looks like I will just have to connect the new led fans directly to the motherboard - but in the end it should not be an issue - I have a couple of fan connectors still unused. I guess without the Corsair controller, I give up their push / pull theory and possibly some speed control settings?

So, what else am I giving up when I don't connect to the Corsair controller? The fans will always be on high speed vs the controller being able to vary the speed as necessary?

The case is very quiet, the system does not require extreme cooling - it is a gaming case that houses basically a business oriented PC. It has a discrete video card, but nothing extravagant.

All I wanted was BLUE LED's - didn't think this was going to be any issue at all!

Sorry I can't remember exactly where but I read on one of the forums the wiring layout for the Corsair fans in the 500R.

One was power, one ground and the other for the LED power.

I'm assuming that the voltage to the fan is reduced by the controller in the same way that a resistor or reduction cable would slow them down. Should you be able to decypher the wiring, I think you should be able to connect any 1200 rpm fan with LED in a similar way. You'd need to pick up a fan that is or is able to be wired the same.

This is just my speculation so enter at your own risk. I haven't got a multimeter out and tested any of that.

OR you could buy the Corsair Link - Although that appears to be about the same cost as our cases :(

Personally - If you buy another blue LED fan or three and just connect them straight to the PSU via molex i'm sure you'd be happy. I generally have my fans on low and have next to zero problems with heat or noise. Find the speed you want 12v/7v/5v and set and forget.

Cheers

Jimma

Get a fan controller for 20$, and change all the fans. The you control how loud they are and have the color you want.

If you want everything to be controlled automatically, a Sunbeam Rheosmart fan controller has a PWM connector and splitter. That way you can set your PWN settings and all fans within the case will work according to CPU temps.

I really appreciate all of the input - I will probably go down the route of purchasinig a separate fan controller and tweak things as necessary.

I am not a gamer, but just LOVE building PCs. But, since I am not a gamer, stock cooling fans have always provided enough for my needs - so I have never really had to deal with separate fan controllers, etc.

This forum has been very helpful. Thank you.

Archived