Corsair Community

HX1000W Squeal when system off

Lt Kernel

Hi,

I've had my HX1000W just over 3 years now with no issues in a X-58 build (Asus P6T Deluxe, i7 920, 6Gb). I recently upgraded to a Z-68 (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3) platform using the same graphics cards (2x 6970) and other components but have discovered a strange issue.

When the PC is shut down, the PSU emits an audible squeal, which is similar to the noise you might get from noisy GPU VRMs.

As soon as I hit the power button, the noise goes away. And when I shut down, a few seconds later the squealing comes back. This isn't so much of an issue but I think I can sometimes hear it during normal use.

My real question is: does this mean my PSU is nearing end of life?

I really don't want the thing crapping out and possibly damaging other components. Or is it simply the new motherboard drawing power while off and causing the PSU to squeal?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

Just to be clear this did not start till after the system upgrade correct?

And you had no trouble with the old system correct?

Has anything else changed in the configuration? Like a different wall outlet or different surge protector? How many devices share the same circuit or breaker this computer connects to?

Just to be clear this did not start till after the system upgrade correct?

And you had no trouble with the old system correct?

Has anything else changed in the configuration? Like a different wall outlet or different surge protector? How many devices share the same circuit or breaker this computer connects to?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've only starting hearing the high-pitched noise (when off) since I updated to a Z-68 board.

I'm using the same graphics cards, sound card and hard disks as before.

My surge protector is the same and I haven't added anything else to the 8-way block.

I just run the PC, monitor and speakings off the surge protector.

Would the noise be related to any of the power saving features listed in the BIOS?

Archived