Corsair Community

New Force 3 120 GB

I am getting mine in today, and I want to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on it and also run the updated 1.3.3 version firmware. I am planning on running it in AHCI mode and want to know the correct order that I should do things to get it up and running smoothly. I will be using it as my primary (boot) drive. I have a second 1TB 7200RPM Sata 3 WD Black that I will have as a secondary extra space drive. I will not be running raid or anything like that. Any suggestions, or install tips/order you guys have?

If you have another computer first use CrystalDiskInfo to check the firmware version. You should update the firmware before you install windows 7. Other than that there is really nothing else you need to do. Windows 7 handles AHCI and SSD VERY well.

Check that the SATA mode is set to AHCI in the UEFI/BIOS, although Intel 6-series chipset boards are usually set to AHCI by default. If not, change it to AHCI.

I suggest that no other drives be connected to your board (except your DVD drive) when you install Windows on your SSD. If there are, Windows 7 has been known to put some of the OS data on the other drive for some reason.

It's also best to have your OS drive connected to the first SATA port on the board, which may be numbered '0' or '1'.

During the installation, the PC will reboot a few times, and you will see the message "Press and key to boot from DVD...". Don't press any key, just let it go by itself, as I've seen pressing the key causing the installation to start over again. Really a stupid thing, a bug IMO, unless I am missing something.

Archived