Corsair Community

Airflow Pro Fan Noisy For About 10 Minutes On StartUp

lederermotors69

Hey guys,

So I guess about 6 months ago, I went ahead and purchased the CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 memory kit from Newegg that included the Airflow Pro Fan. Since then I have installed it, but everytime I boot up the system, one of the two fans makes an extremely annoying grinding noise. After about ten minutes, the fan will stop making the grinding noise on its own and my computer is absolutely silent. It has become so annoying, that I resort to tapping on the case to get the fan to stop making the noise. Given the amount of fans that are installed in my case, kind of annoying that the most expensive fan makes the most noise :/. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this or should I just look into the warranty?

DJ

You have basically two options. Yes you could rma the fan, or you can remove it and put a drop of fine machine oil (3n1 or anything else that is not a heavy lubricant)in the shaft bushing. There will be a small rubber plug under the label of the fan. Pull that plug to gain access to the fans shaft. That should quiet it down for a good long while.

Unfortunately most people just buy new fans and dont realized that the bushing in the fans often run dry from dust and other contaminants in the air that moves through your case.

Unfortunately most people just buy new fans and dont realized that the bushing in the fans often run dry from dust and other contaminants in the air that moves through your case.

Or just throw them out which is what I did when I had this exact same problem. The fans are not necessary.

Or, you could buy a fan controller..

One of the fans in my CMXAF2 grinds briefly at bootup, sometimes

and this sometimes is only ever when the fan is running at 12V

when i reduce the V to 11 or so, it never grinds

clean your fans, or control them. YW

cable..

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_289&products_id=2480&zenid=6251a54e3182a4e3812b0f9d3f6da4b5

pci..

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=25026

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29336

IMO, small fans are usually noisy little buggers and usually not worth much for cooling unless they are screaming at high RPM. Definitely try what Peanutz suggested, and also check the mounting of the fan, might be loose. I need to try oiling all my cranky little fans...

• 3 months later...

One of the two fans on mine started making noise. More like a rattle to me than grinding.

I just RMA'd them. It was a very easy process. You do need to pay for postage and packaging when sending them in though.

And I agree that smaller fans are much noisier. They also are more likely to fail sooner.

I would venture to guess that is why you don't see them on newer processor coolers or graphics cards that often.

Archived