Corsair Community

Increasing memory

Curt.B

I have a dell xps 620i that currently has 4x1 gb memory, I called dell and talked with one of there tech's about ordering 4 coarsair 2gb sticks to upgrade my system to 8 gb, and they told me it would not help because my system would not support that ,even though the stick's would fit, so I'm confused. could i not increase my ram that way? I have an E8500 dualcore with nivedia board .

What operating system are you using? 32 bit windows will only recognize about 3.5gig out of 4 gigs. So adding more will not be seen or used by windows.

If you want more ram or you'll either have to upgrade to a newer machine or install a 64 bit OS

Just because it physically fits doesn't mean the hardware supports it. Couldn't find that general model on their support site though. If you look up the service tag at support.dell.com you can look at the manual and see the max amount of memory that's supported.

Ok' Thank's for both of the reply's, I have a 64 bit operating system, so I went ahead and ordered 4x2gb sticks' and if they don't work for me i can send them back to dell. There very good about stuff like that. Also i gave you the wrong info, I have a 630i, which is probably why you couldn't find it for me, I stated that it was a 620i before, So sorry about that.

Archived