Corsair Community

Best 8GB choice for older G41 boards?

IT_Diva

Hi Team,

I need some advice. :confused:

I'm trying to turn my bins of obsolescence into some usable machines.

I'm matching up an E8600 and a Q6600 to some Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P boards that have Intel G41's.

The board specs say:

2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8 GB of system memory

Support for DDR3 1333(O.C.)1066/800 MHz memory modules

The memory support list has not been updated in eons, and the board is not listed in the Corsair configurator thingy.

I need low profile, so these would seem to be the choices:

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

CMX8GX3M2B1600C9

CML8GX3M2A1600C9

CML8GX3M2A1600C9W

Since there's so little price difference between the first three, I figured that getting the 1600 over the 1333 may be more future resistant for later re-use.

I ask about the CML8GX3M2A1600C9W in particular, because it's 1.35V rated, and may be easier for the G41 to manage 8GB, therefore making it worth the extra cost.

These boards seem to run happily along with 4 GB kits (CMX4GX3M2A1333C8) but I'd really like to run them with 8GB and have not tried that before.

Any advice or feedback is most welcomed here.

Thanks in advance,

Darlene

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but none of these modules will work with that MB, I am sorry to say.

The MB uses the G41 Chipset and while it states it can use up to 8 Gig of memory the modules have to made with 128M X 8 Memory IC's and most of our production has moved to 512M X 8 Memory IC's which are not compatible with that MB.

The MB uses the G41 Chipset and while it states it can use up to 8 Gig of memory the modules have to made with 128M X 8 Memory IC's and most of our production has moved to 512M X 8 Memory IC's which are not compatible with that MB.

Always something that's not spelled out in the specs to make it a pita.

Of course I suppose that at the time of the G41, all modules were at best 128 X 8.

How about compatable 4GB kits? Any chance there?

Thanks for the info I'd have otherwise had to learn the hard way.

Darlene

Can we revisit this for a moment.....

In searching for 8GB memory kits compatable with the Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2P boards, one supplier listed the board specifically on their configurator and the 8GB performance kit listed is made of sixteen 256 X 8 configuration, according to it's tech sheet.

Now I know 256 isn't 512, but it's not 128 either, so I tried the 8GB kit from my Gene-Z machine, ( CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R ) in a GA-G41MT-S2P, and it worked just fine, being recognized at its SPD settings.

I don't know if it's 128, 256, or 512 X8, but since it worked, does that shine a new light on whether my original choices should work also?

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 or CMX8GX3M2B1600C9 or CML8GX3M2A1600C9

Or is it just something about the way the CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R is made that's different from the other choices, (like maybe it's 256X8 to get the tighter timings, and 256X8 is really what the board's limit is) that just happens to be compatable with that board?

Thanks again for taking a second thought here.

Darlene

the 8GB performance kit listed is made of sixteen 256 X 8 configuration,

It cant be...256 x8 ==2 gigs so if you take that times 16 thats 32 gigs. You must be reading that sheet wrong or something. Or there's always the possibility my eyes are failing me and I'm reading your post wrong :P Can you post JUST the specs that show that. I dont need vendor names or anything. Just would like to see what your seeing.

It cant be...256 x8 ==2 gigs so if you take that times 16 thats 32 gigs. You must be reading that sheet wrong or something. Or there's always the possibility my eyes are failing me and I'm reading your post wrong :P Can you post JUST the specs that show that. I dont need vendor names or anything. Just would like to see what your seeing.

Are computing bits per module at 32Gb, and not seeing it as two 4 GByte modules?

Hope this helps;

(not trying to defeat the filter, I know you guys who need to, can see what I typed)

I can't copy/paste off the displayed .pdf, but here's the link:

http://www.********.com/dataSheets/KHX1600C9D3K2_8G.pdf

Here's the link to the configurator results: (be sure to click "view all 6 results" at the bottom. The 8 GB kit is the last one down)

http://www.********.com/us/memory/search/Default.aspx?DeviceType=7&Mfr=GIG&Line=GA-G41MT-S2P&Model=69496

Darlene

• Corsair Employees
Now I know 256 isn't 512, but it's not 128 either, so I tried the 8GB kit from my Gene-Z machine, ( CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R ) in a GA-G41MT-S2P, and it worked just fine, being recognized at its SPD settings.

I cannot comment about another manufacture you would need to speak with them for information on their products.

However, on our modules CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R please look on the module and you will see the version number.

If the version is X.X they are made with 128M X 8 or 256M X 8 IC's and should work with the MB you have.

If the version number is X.XX they will be made with 512M X 8 memory IC's and would not work with the MB you have.

And 90% of what we produce now will be version X.XX, granted some will be made with lower density IC's; there is no way to specify the version number as most resellers will not know or tell you the version you will get. In addition, even if it is a part we sell direct our Customer service will not know what version you would get of any specific part nor can they specify a specific version on an order. Hope that helps!

I cannot comment about another manufacture you would need to speak with them for information on their products.

However, on our modules CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R please look on the module and you will see the version number.

If the version is X.X they are made with 128M X 8 or 256M X 8 IC's and should work with the MB you have.

If the version number is X.XX they will be made with 512M X 8 memory IC's and would not work with the MB you have.

And 90% of what we produce now will be version X.XX, granted some will be made with lower density IC's; there is no way to specify the version number as most resellers will not know or tell you the version you will get. In addition, even if it is a part we sell direct our Customer service will not know what version you would get of any specific part nor can they specify a specific version on an order. Hope that helps!

Actually, it just adds to the confusion:

The version number on my CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R is 5.11

Could later production G41's have been revised to work with more current memory production?

Or could more current BIOS's be the key?

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but all I can tell you is based on the information I have available to me.

Can there be mistakes? Yes sure there can!

Can there be other variables beyond our control? Of course there can and I expect there to be!

Could later production G41's have been revised to work with more current memory production? Or could more current BIOS's be the key?

Yes one thing I have learned is always expect the unexpected. However if you read the white papers from Intel for that chipset they are specific as to the Memory IC configurations that are supported

Can I suggest you try this based on what you you have told me?

No absolutely not, you are welcome to try it but there is no way I can promise something will work when I know there is a chance it may not.

Bottom Line: you can try it if you like it is your choice and your money it may work and it may not. Personally my suggestion would be to wait till you purchase a newer MB and CPU then you will not have any of these problems.

But if you do decide to try it I would check with the reseller and see what their return policy is before you purchase memory that may not work.

Thanks or taking the time to reply.

If it wasn't that I like Corsair products in general, and try to use them whenever possible, I wouldn't have belabored the issue to such extent.

It's always a pita when trying to do something today with yesterday's technology, but there are still some decent 775 cpu's here that will make fine everyday use pc's or htpc's.

Not everything I get to build or work on is new, or nearly so. In today's economy, we have to "improvise" a bit. Not everything that should work always does, nor everything that shouldn't work, always not. It's that damn mystery area giving me gray hair.

I was hoping someone might chime in with relevent experience (running 8GB on a recent G41 board) and definitively sort out the the issue, but it appears I hope for too much.

I'll go with the memory that claims to be compatable for now, and when I have some lp vengeance or xms in hand, I'll give it a try and let you know the results.

Thanks again,

Darlene

Archived