Corsair Community

Benefits from Memory

9Tek

Hello All,

Currently I have the following memory installed in my motherboard:

CMX8GX3M4B1333C9 - DDR3-1333 (XMS3-9-9-9-24*1.5v) Dual Channel

I was wondering what possible benefits will there be if I install the following memory modules:

CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 - DDR3-1333 (Dominator-7-7-7-20*1.65v) Dual Channel

Thanks,

9Tek

Hi,

I never do mix memory from different kits.....I only install each RAM module from the same kit onto my motherboard. It's just that I have a spare BEMP Dominator kit and was thinking of changing it over and not mixing them.

Thanks

9Tek

• Corsair Employees

With this platform ( I have the same CPU) I can tell you the difference between Cas 7 and Cas 9 is about 400 MBps in memory bandwidth but it can vary with the Make of MB and the CPU you use. In real world; would you see the difference? most likely not, maybe in a memory bench mark you would notice it.

I have found adding more memory in my case I went from an 8 Gig set running at Cas 7 to a 16 Gig set running at Cas 8 at DDR1333 (CMP16GX3M4A1600C9) the memory performance is almost the same in memory bench marks slightly faster with the Cas 7 part but in BF3 I get better scores with 16 Gig of memory and in the Windows Experience I get 7.8 where as I had 7.4 with with our Cas 7 modules of 8 Gig.

Not to tout the Windows experience as I have stated in many posts; it is not suggested to go by the windows experience for a memory bench mark as it is not a memory benchmark. It is a reference and a valuable tool to evaluate over all system performance. Hope that helps you here.

So in short with a 64 Bit O.S. more memory; even with slower timings on the memory shows over all better system performance.

Archived