Corsair Community

RAM does not work as specified

Ned Flanders

Hi,

I got the parts for our new # cruncher yesterday and have some trouble with the 32gb Corsair Ram (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10). The bios sets the ram in AUTO to 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz. Manual setting to 1600MHz resuts in no POST.

The RAM however under the specified timings also produces Errors in MEMTEST 4.20 under 1333MHz. only an increase of voltage to 1.6V (instead of 1.5) makes the RAM stable under 1333MHz.

Any advice?

Is this a RMA case or are there any other tweaks?

BIOS is up to date.

Best,

Ned

Hi RamGuy,

Thanks for your reply. Although I meanwhile learned to hate Asus by experience, I had to go for them again as I was bound to one shop and this one was the only Series 9 AM3+ Board there. However, the M5A97-Evo is officially supporting 1600Mhz (actually even more).

How about waranty with the Ram Modules. How much voltage can they take without risking their health?

Just keep in mind the CPU you have is limited to DDr1333.

Hey RG, thats the new FX chip that supports 1866mhz memory right out of the box.

From AMD's site...

Integrated DRAM Controller with AMD Memory Optimizer Technology The AMD FX Processor features a high-bandwidth, low-latency integrated memory controller that supports up to DDR3-1866 and new low voltage memories of 1.35V and 1.2V and provides new Pre-Fetcher improvements and direct communications to each core in Dual-Core module (APIC registers in each core).

It's not uncommon to have to add voltage when you use high density memory kits. Your CPU does support 1866mhz natively,so at 1600mhz you would actually be underclocking your memory controller.

If you can not get them to run correctly, i would contact ASUS because if memory is failing it will fail at ANY frequency, not just one.

Do you have the latest BIOS for yor MB? If not i would grab it from ASUS's site and see if that does not help any.

Yes, the FX should support 1866Mhz. My feeling is that it is indeed a Board problem. If you google for the board and mem problems you find plenty of them and the latest two Bios updates where about fixing Ram problems. However, even the latest one does not seem to solve my problems here. Will run the system @ 1333MHz @ 1.6 V and 2T for now which seems to at least run them stable and wait for another update.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Ned

Archived