Corsair Community

Corsair Force 3 - Why the sudden price drop in the UK?

joew

I have a Force 3 120GB and was looking to sell to get a Performance Pro. I was shocked to find that the prices new have gone down from £125 a couple of months ago to circa £80.

Does anyone know why this is?

The recent hike in mechanical HDs is no joke, I was comparing prices of HDs from last year to today. It makes me wish I bought more last year.

No kidding. I have recently paid $100 for 320GB drives. I have bought 2TB drives in 2011 for $100 :(:

I doubt I would get a straight answer. It seems to be across a number of retailers.

LOL....you say that as if there may be some nefarious reason or clandestine secret behind it all.

Corsair might be revising their line of SSDs, that happens all the time with any manufacture. With the way the SSD marketplace is evolving, such as my not even two year old Intel G2 SSDs that have been out of production for almost a year and could not compete in today's market, if you're not changing, you're history. While the Corsair SSDs you mention are not in that category yet, who knows what is on the horizon?

One might also ask, why are you buying a Performance Pro when you have a rather fresh Force 3? SSD years are even shorter than dog years... :[pouts:

Although I'm sure this is not a matter for Secret Squirrel I suspect as parsec says a new model is on its way.

I struggle to understand how the Thailand problems have any effect on SSD prices! If anything the prices should increase if demand increases.

I'm selling as I use a Marvell controller and have read it pays to use a Marvell based SSD as long as the firmware is up to spec. Also I've noticed a gradual deterioration in the speed of my drive since I first got it. Again I've read that the new Marvell controller ensures longer term performance.

This is all info from forums however so not 100% reliable!! Given the price drop though I think I will put my Force 3 into my media center rather than sell.

Well, it didn't last long. Retailers are now either out of stock or if they've got them they're back up around £120. Maybe there were pre-1123... stocks around which should have gone back to Corsair?

No, no, no! This is not correct. Please do not post irresponsible speculation like this.

Although I'm sure this is not a matter for Secret Squirrel I suspect as parsec says a new model is on its way.

I struggle to understand how the Thailand problems have any effect on SSD prices! If anything the prices should increase if demand increases.

I'm selling as I use a Marvell controller and have read it pays to use a Marvell based SSD as long as the firmware is up to spec. Also I've noticed a gradual deterioration in the speed of my drive since I first got it. Again I've read that the new Marvell controller ensures longer term performance.

This is all info from forums however so not 100% reliable!! Given the price drop though I think I will put my Force 3 into my media center rather than sell.

Secret Squirrel!! I haven't thought about that one in ages!

Your thought about SSD prices and the HDD stock problems should make sense, but IMO the SSD market is different than the HDD market.

The SSD market has become highly competitive, with many new companies joining the battle. We're starting to see newcomers from almost anywhere, I've heard the company that's been selling audio cables for many years is introducing a line of SSDs (given their customer service record, I expect them to fail spectacularly.) Since IMO there is zero evidence of any price fixing or secret dealings in the SSD market, none of them dare raise prices. There are to many companies out there for that to happen. I expect to see a Wal-Mart branded SSD any time now.

How about SSD companies lowering prices to attract customers who don't want to pay high HDD prices? As well as make it more attractive to those who have been reluctant to buy SSDs, given the current HDD prices. Seems pretty basic to me, and that might just work.

Archived