Corsair Community

issue

yottabit

My F120 just died... again.

I bought it in December 2010 and finally put it into my computer the first week of February 2011.

My first one died less than a week after initial use. It was exhibiting the weirdest symptom. It would boot just fine, but any changes/writes I made during that session of having the computer on would not be reflected the next time I would do a cold power cycle! It was like my disk was snapshotted and kept rolling back on each cold boot. Talk about frustrating!

When I requested an RMA for that drive I requested an explanation of failure analysis since I was new to Sandforce controllers and all their majick. After such a strange failure mode I didn't have confidence in them. My Indilinx- and Marvell-based SSDs never had any issues at all, after years of use.

So when I received the replacement F120 I didn't use it for months. I finally decided to go ahead and use it again considering it was a sunk investment, and I just made sure to backup regularly. I travel with my laptop every week and generally write important data to the server over VPN, or e-mail test results, etc., so I felt that if I lost it during the week it wouldn't be that big of a deal because I could restore to another disk as soon as I get home.

Lo and behold, I finally got the courage to put the replacement F120 into my computer again in September 2011 (yes, the RMA replacement sat brand new, sealed in the package, for seven months). Now here we are less than six weeks later and it has failed again!!! Unbelievable.

This time it's stone dead. No BIOS will even recognize that it's there. In fact it causes the BIOS to hang for a long timeout period on boot-up--at least 2-3 minutes.

At this point I've lost all confidence in SandForce and Corsair. I stopped using their RAM a couple years ago after having been a faithful customer for many years for new computer builds (for sale). After a whole spate of failed RAM over a period of six months, I switched to a more expensive brand and have yet to sustain one failure.

I guess I'll put the replacement F120 into my computer again once I get it back for the second time, and we'll see if I can beat the six-week record!!

At least it has a three-year warranty, but having to deal with a failed computer when I'm out in the field working is really starting to get old.

I expected better from Corsair and from Sandforce. :(

It is a known problem that the Force drive will disappear after some use, the best way to get it detected again is to unplug the power source of the computer from the wall (or if its a laptop, take out the battery and unplug it).

That should get the drive detected again. Please remember to backup all your files, also make sure the firmware versions are up to date on these drives. Version 2.0 or higher. If you truly think it is dead, you should be able to RMA it.

Synbios, it's definitely not a power cycle issue. I power-cycled the lappy at least a dozen times, even removing battery, etc. No luck...

Then plugged it into a different computer when I returned home and still no luck being recognized.

In the immortal words of Monty Python:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

• 2 months later...

Well Corsair, I don't know if it's the Sandforce controller, your choice of Flash memory, or your PCB design, but this is the most unreliable drive I have *ever* owned.

The first one lasted 2 days. The second & third ones have each lasted 2 months.

It's on its way back to you for a third time... and when I get it back I'm selling it and running away from your products.

Up until a couple years ago I used your RAM exclusively in my computer design & building business, and then I started having lots and lots of failures. I thought I'd give you another chance since you were bringing the Sandforce controller to market and it was quite a promising design. It's too bad the execution has apparently been awful, judging by both my and others' experiences with these drives.

I'm glad Corsair sold the drive with a three-year warranty, but I can't afford for my main work computer to be down every two months or so to replace the drive with a temporary one, restore my last backup, mail the defective drive back, wait for the replacement, and finally image the temporary drive back to the replacement SSD, only to live anxiously in anticipation of the day it will completely die again without any warning.

For what it's worth, I also have two other brands of SSDs, each with different controllers, and I've never had a failure yet.

Archived