Corsair Community

Dead after a year?

SOSTech

A year ago I built my current system using two sets of CMX6GX3M3A1600C9.

The week before Holidays the system started acting up and I narrowed it down to the RAM.

Running memtest+ or BurnInTest 7 I saw memory errors. Testing 2 chips at a time, only one of the six chips consistently threw an error in memtest+ so I opened an RMA.

Before I could send the "bad one" and two others back I noticed that testing *any three* of the other chips also throws an error.

I replaced with CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 and using 3 chips or 6 all tests pass. I ran a 6 hour memtest+ pass and 6hour BurnInTest with no issues.

Note that I've overclocked the i7 950 to 3.8Ghz and the RAM was clocked to 1604Mhz@1.65v. CPU temps are usually ~45C and spike to ~72C during the burnin tests (three 120mm fans, the 200MM on top and the stock Intel cooler). SpeedStep is turned on.

Should I open a new RMA for the other three chips? Send back all 6 on the first RMA? Stay with the Vengance RAM? ;)

Follow up, I tried XMP settings but the system wouldn't boot. I tried ASUS "CPU-UP" but the system wouldn't boot.

I stuck with:

Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual (I tried XMP and Level up and could not boot)

CPU Ratio: 24 *

CPU Turbo : Disabled

BCLK Frequency: 160

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1604Mhz

UCLK : 3207Mhz

All other settings are AUTO except:

CPU Voltage: 1.24375 (I tried it slightly lower but one of the baseline tests failed)

DRAM Voltage: 1.65 (now 1.5 with the Vengance)

I would try and set the memory frequency to DDR1333 with XMP enabled and set the QPI Voltage to 1.45 Volts.

After a year of working fine, I have to slow them down to keep using them? What - they hit middle-age? :D:

I'd rather keep the Vengance@1600 (ooh, heat spreaders!)

If I sell/trade/donate the XMS will the next owner get the warranty?

Running memtest+ or BurnInTest 7 I saw memory errors. Testing 2 chips at a time, only one of the six chips consistently threw an error in memtest+ so I opened an RMA.

Before I could send the "bad one" and two others back I noticed that testing *any three* of the other chips also throws an error.

May want to have the MB checked then if that is the case.

If I sell/trade/donate the XMS will the next owner get the warranty?

In a nut shell, no! Warranty is non transferable

May want to have the MB checked then if that is the case.

Vengeance 6x4GB kit and 3x2GB kits (I tried the 6GB first) both run fine. Burn in tests 6+hours and its been running fast as can be for a week now. The XMS ran fine for a year.

I know the MB is fine after the memtest+, burnin test and Adobe Photoshop, PremierPro, AfterEffects, Encore and Audition loaded up the 24GB of RAM with my high-def (Canon 7D) Christmas videos. And VMware Workstation 8 w/ two ESXi 5, two Win2k8R2 and Equallogic and NetApp simulators.

I tested the 3x2GB Vengeance at 1.65v first before I remembered to turn it down to 1.5.

Open a second RMA for the other 3 chips and send them all back in 2 batches?

Open a second RMA for the other 3 chips and send them all back in 2 batches?

I don't see why you are RMA ing any memory.

The chances of one stick dying are slim to none. To have an entire kit go bad is impossible. If any three sticks causes the errors then it's not a memory issue.

Basically there is absolutely no way all that memory is bad.

Ok, so I had two sets of CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 (12GB total) running 1600 @ 1.65v on a Rampage III Formula for a year before it started crashing. I tested with Memtest and decided all of the RAM was suspect.

I swapped in a 6GB triple kit (CMZ6GX3M3A1600C9) and two different 24GB 6-packs (CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9) all of which tested fine using the same settings as the XMS RAM (I did lower the DRAM voltage to 1.5 after the first few tests). Memtest ran 24hours with the final set of 24GB and PassMark BurnInTest 7 for 4 hours (RAM 100% load).

I have not gone back and tested the XMS chips one-by-one (I did not do this originally as the MB manual seemed to indicate one chip was not supported).

So my options are:

Spend hours more testing each individual chip that cost $13 to buy new.

Send back the motherboard and CPU for testing when they don't have problems with any other memory and be out of my system for 3+ weeks

Trash the "good" XMS memory (since it doesn't work) and keep the "bad" MB/CPU since they work fine and step up to 24GB (for <$140!) which I'd like to do anyway.

I think I'll pick #3!

Now to find a good home for the XMS chips...

Archived