Corsair Community

How are these tempatures?

JohnLucPicard

I am using an H100 on a 2500k with an Asus Deluxe Gen3 board.

1.28v at 4.5ghz averaging at around 54-60C on full load.

Edit: Raised to 4.6ghz and 1.3v, 1-2c higher.

Are these good temperatures for a 2500k and safe for 24\7 usage?

Also, is it bad to let Asus Auto Tuning Auto Overclock the CPU and set the BCLK frequency to 103; saw other people not recommend letting it do so?

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2574/78199054.png

Your temps are excellent.

In terms of your overclock, I recommend your find a forum for your motherboard. People there will be able to help you with that. I will say that your temps are excellent for that speed. Your vcore voltage is very low and safe. I am running an i7 950 at 4.2ghz and 1.425 vcore. My temps are in the high 30s low 40s at idle and in the mid 80's while running P95 or LinX using an H60. I don't know why your bclk is set so low. I haven't worked on overclocking an i5 processor.

The BCLK in Sandy Bridge (SB) platforms is the single reference clock for many things besides the CPU, including the SATA interface. Overclocking via the BCLK is not really an option on Sandy Bridge platforms, if only because it can hardly be changed. It has been locked down because raising it will affect many other things on the board in a negative way.

Beekermartin, OCing a SB platform is completely different than a socket 1366/X58 system, it truly is apples and oranges in that respect. Just read a review or two of the i7-2600K CPU, and you'll understand.

Most if not all mother board manufactures (other than Intel) already break the "rules" regarding SB over clocking with the CPU Turbo multiplier, by allowing the Turbo multiplier OC to remain at whatever level indefinitely, while Intel intended them to to time limited. Those same manufactures have not done that with the BCLK, because they know of all the problems that will occur if they did allow raising the BCLK any higher than 103.

For the best overall system stability, set the BCLK to 100 and forget about it. It really does not buy you much going from 100 to 103 on the BCLK. With a Turbo multiplier of 45, that becomes 4.5GHz vs 4.635GHz. Unless your ultimate goal is only to run OC benchmarks on your PC, IMO it's not worth loosing system stability or your data, to achieve 135MHz extra OC. It's fine to try and achieve your best OC, but for everyday use, what's the point?

Thanks for the replies!

I'm pretty solid at 4.5ghz after running prime for a little while, I had to up it to 1.32v to get stability.

I'm thinking 4.5ghz is way to much even if I multitask and game, but then again the temperatures of the 2500k really didn't change much between 3.6-4.5ghz at load to bother down-clocking anyway; 5-6c isn't to bad I think.

Don't use ai overclock or what. Very easy to do it urself in bios.

That is correct, particularly on a SB system. All you need to do is set the Turbo multipliers to your goal OC, and maybe tweak some power settings.

On my ASUS SB board with an i7-2600K, I've gone as high as 4.8 - 5.0GHz, while barely changing any CPU power settings. I'm a rebel with my CPU power settings, because I never set a specific Vcore, I enable CPU Over Voltage but set the amount to Auto, set the CPU voltage regulators to the ASUS "Optimized" setting with the Current monitoring setting, rather than Temperature. Most crazy of all, I enable all the CPU power saving options, SpeedStep, C1E, and C-States, and it works fine. It's interesting to watch the CPU frequency change from 1.6GHz (SpeedStep, etc, operating) to 4.8 or 5.0GHz when work needs to be done. Yes, I've seen Vcore over 1.4V at times, and temps can skyrocket when stress testing, but it just works. I find no need to keep it over 4.5 - 4.6GHz (if even that high) for normal use, which in my case is the point where power and temps really take off for anything above that.

I don't understand the point of setting Vcore to a specific voltage, particularly with SB systems. Intel CPUs tell the VRMs what voltage they want via the VID, that is nothing new. The VID requests have an upper limit so the CPU will not kill itself, although cooling is in the users hands, and CPU throttling will occur if CPU temps are to high. Does setting the Vcore cause the VID requests from the CPU to be ignored? Is setting Vcore considered a safety measure?

IMO, what worked for OCing socket 1366 CPUs (i7-900 series) is not necessarily applicable to SB CPUs, and changing our paradigm for SB OCing is just appropriate since they OC differently than previous generation CPUs.

Archived