Corsair Community

Corsair 400R/500R LED Switch

Alphyn

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a Corsair H100 CPU cooler, but instead of the fans that come with it, I'm also thinking of getting some of the front LED fans from the 400R/500R cases to compliment its look.

I'm wondering if it is at all possible to connect the LED fans on the H100's radiator to the LED on/off switch so that I can turn them on and off at will.

Thanks. :)

-Alex

I recently bought a 500R, so I am familiar with their LED fans. Those fans have a rather unique connector on them that is not the same as the standard three pin fan connector. Those fans don't have a separate cable for the LEDs, it is combined/shared with the fan power wires and those special connectors. While that configuration is convenient for powering the LED fans, by using only one connector and cable, the connectors make it difficult to adapt those fans for other uses, or to add fans to the LED on/off switch. The hard wired power cable for the front LED fans that is connected to the LED on/off switch also uses those special connectors, and there are only two of those connectors on that power cable. The large side LED fan has a separate hard wired cable that is also on the LED on/off switch circuit, with the special connector.

Unless you could find splitter cables with those special connectors, you cannot add more of the Corsair LED fans to that circuit. Also, the Corsair 120mm LED case fans are not in the same league of performance as the standard H100 fans, and won't provide the same level of cooling, IMO the difference would be significant. You would also only have the three speed fan switch to control the fan's speed. Then there is the question of whether or not the fan and LED power circuitry would be able to handle the additional fans.

Unless someone has already done what you are considering, and can advise you about how to do it, IMO there are so many potential issues that it most likely cannot be done or won't work very well.

I recently bought a 500R, so I am familiar with their LED fans. Those fans have a rather unique connector on them that is not the same as the standard three pin fan connector. Those fans don't have a separate cable for the LEDs, it is combined/shared with the fan power wires and those special connectors. While that configuration is convenient for powering the LED fans, by using only one connector and cable, the connectors make it difficult to adapt those fans for other uses, or to add fans to the LED on/off switch. The hard wired power cable for the front LED fans that is connected to the LED on/off switch also uses those special connectors, and there are only two of those connectors on that power cable. The large side LED fan has a separate hard wired cable that is also on the LED on/off switch circuit, with the special connector.

Unless you could find splitter cables with those special connectors, you cannot add more of the Corsair LED fans to that circuit. Also, the Corsair 120mm LED case fans are not in the same league of performance as the standard H100 fans, and won't provide the same level of cooling, IMO the difference would be significant. You would also only have the three speed fan switch to control the fan's speed. Then there is the question of whether or not the fan and LED power circuitry would be able to handle the additional fans.

Unless someone has already done what you are considering, and can advise you about how to do it, IMO there are so many potential issues that it most likely cannot be done or won't work very well.

That's a darn shame.

I guess I'll see how I like the stock H100 fans first, and if I don't like them, I'll change them up to something else.

Thanks for the help.

Archived