Corsair Community

Thermal Paste for Corsair H100?

cyt

I'm a newbie when it comes to building rig. This is my first time I'm building my own rig. I have just ordered the H100 cooling system and the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard. I would like to know if it would still be all right or recommendable if I apply thermal paste (artic silver 5) to the i7-3930k CPU before fitting the cooler, since from information gathered thermal compound is already present on the cooler itself ? I was recommended to use Artic Silver 5 thermal paste by my friend as it is good paste for conducting heat. Would it be just be good enough to use just the existing pre-applied thermal compound on the cooler itself, or should I apply another layer of aric silver 5 paste on the cpu before fitting the cooler for better conductivity ?

Look forward to your advice. Thanks.

I'm a newbie when it comes to building rig. This is my first time I'm building my own rig. I have just ordered the H100 cooling system and the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard. I would like to know if it would still be all right or recommendable if I apply thermal paste (artic silver 5) to the i7-3930k CPU before fitting the cooler, since from information gathered thermal compound is already present on the cooler itself ? I was recommended to use Artic Silver 5 thermal paste by my friend as it is good paste for conducting heat. Would it be just be good enough to use just the existing pre-applied thermal compound on the cooler itself, or should I apply another layer of aric silver 5 paste on the cpu before fitting the cooler for better conductivity ?

From the news about the H100 paste, it is either a Shin Etsu or a Dow Corning thermal paste, one of the more modern revisions.

Tests show that these pastes are better than AS5, which used to be an undisputed king back in the day.

Leave the stock white goop on and enjoy! (Rarely is this said but it seems to be the best policy in the case of the H100)

TG-1 is the best. Bought it through NewEgg and it works much better than AS 5.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup-1_8.html#sect0

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup-1_12.html

Thanks for your reply. If I were to apply a layer of TG-1 on the CPU, should I remove the existing thermal compound which is pre-applied on the cooler, or simply just leave it there and fit the cooler onto the cpu with the applied layer of TG-1 on it. That would mean there will be two thermal compounds on the cpu. I guess I would need to remove the existing pre-applied layer first before applying the TG-1 on the cpu. Is it ?

Thanks for your reply. If I were to apply a layer of TG-1 on the CPU, should I remove the existing thermal compound which is pre-applied on the cooler,

Yes absolutly, but i would seriously just use what came on it. It really is top of the line stuff and there is no need to apply something different upon initial installation. If in the future you need to remount the cooler, then use what everyyou want.

Yes absolutely, but i would seriously just use what came on it. It really is top of the line stuff and there is no need to apply something different upon initial installation. If in the future you need to remount the cooler, then use what ever you want.

And yes, completely clean off existing thermal paste before remounting with new thermal paste. The ArctiClean stuff is good for this.

-Z

Archived