Corsair Community

Adding more memory to existing system

tsp1965

Hi

I have a 2 year old system based on an i7 processor with 6GB Corsair RAM and an OCZ SSD boot drive, which I was expecting to be (and feel) pretty quick, but it has always felt much slower and more sluggish than the previous (much less powerful) Core Duo system it replaced which ran Vista Business 32 bit. It isn't its processing power that is the problem - processor intensive tasks like video encoding whizz along satisfactorily once they start. It is the everyday tasks like opening new Explorer windows, switching apps, and general multitasking which can drive you mad. It is a business machine, so the apps I use a lot are Adobe CS4 suite, Office 2007 etc. Even with only a couple of applications open everything slows ot a crawl in terms of real-world usability.

I thought I might try adding to the RAM as the most likely way to speed it up, but as far as I can see my exact Corsair modules aren't available in the UK any more.

Can someone advise me what I should buy to supplement my existing 6GB - I have three more slots available. I was thinking that another 6GB as a 3x2GB would be sensible, but what spec for best compatibility with what I have?

Key bits of hardware are listed below - all advice gratefully received.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 iX58 Socket 1366 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory CL8(8-8-8--24)

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB

OCZ 250GB 2.5" SATAII Solid Series Solid State Drive

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest mixing memory that is a crap shoot, even if you do find another set that is the same version chances are they will not run at the tested settings when mixed. It would be best to purchase a matching 12 Gig set.

Hi RAMGuy - thanks for the reply.

That's a shame, seems terribly wasteful, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

The real question therefore is, would you expect to see the sort of symptoms I am getting with a 6GB system, therefore what are the chances I will cure it by splashing out on 12GB?

I've googled this extensively and I can't find other people complaining about the same sorts of symptoms. So I don't want to buy more RAM if that's not the issue here.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Regards

Tim

Archived