Corsair Community

Question about dust with the H series setup as intake?

beekermartin

I have tried using the H60 setup as intake and exhaust as well as with 1 fan and 2.

I noticed slightly lower cpu temps with it set up as intake of course but everything else in my system has higher temps. That makes sense of course because the heat from the radiator is filling the case. My 902 case has a large top exhaust fan which helps exhaust the hot air but I still get overall higher system temps with it setup as intake. I have been stress testing while overclocking so I have it currently setup as intake to keep cpu temps as low as possible. I have found my ideal overclocked settings, i7 950 @4.2, so now I am trying to decide how to keep the H60 setup. CPU temps will never hit as high during normal use as when stress testing using P95 and LinX. So I can set up the H60 as intake or exhaust and still have very safe cpu temps.

My last concern is dust. My 902 has filters on the front and side intake fans. If I setup the H60 as intake how often is dust going to be an issue? Not only on the radiator and fans but what about inside the case? This applies to any H series coolers of course.

So I can set up the H60 as intake or exhaust and still have very safe cpu temps.

Every rig is different! The best thing you can do is try it both ways an keep an eye on your temps to decide whats best.

My last concern is dust. My 902 has filters on the front and side intake fans. If I setup the H60 as intake how often is dust going to be an issue? Not only on the radiator and fans but what about inside the case?

Again, every house or environment is different. So dust buildup is going to be dependent on that. Pets, number of people in the house, and so . I would just check it every couple of weeks to be sure its relatively clean

I clean my case filters every month or so. They don't get too dusty but I like to keep them as clean as possible.

I am more concerned about the dust on the H60 radiator since the only way to clean that will be with compressed air.

I think I am going to run it as exhaust to help limit the amount of dust.

I switched my H60 to exhaust and reran LinX. I saw an increase of @2c on cpu temps. I expected about that since my 902 case has very good airflow. I am going to leave the H60 as exhaust to help with dust and overall case flow. I am not saying this is best for everyone but in my setup the very slight CPU temp increase is worth it for overall case temps. YMMV!

I have my H70 as intake for my gpu and my H100 as exaust on the cpu. Works nice for a HAF 932 but dust on the H70 rad can be a pain if you dont clean it often, intake from the bottom of the case and no filter. Its alot like a desert here plus 3 cats and 3 long hair girls...do the math lol

here is what my H70 rad looked like after a few months

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6079/6034462980_95705d1923_b.jpg

_IGP9508 by cravinmild, on Flickr

I have my H70 as intake for my gpu and my H100 as exaust on the cpu. Works nice for a HAF 932 but dust on the H70 rad can be a pain if you dont clean it often, intake from the bottom of the case and no filter. Its alot like a desert here plus 3 cats and 3 long hair girls...do the math lol

here is what my H70 rad looked like after a few months...

Whoa, now that was one dirty radiator. Great example for new H-series users. For whatever reason, the radiators are dust magnets. From my experience, after about one month you'll at least start to see dust on the radiator. Filters can work, but IMO can restrict air flow and can add some noise.

Actually, the radiator's dust filtering qualities may be an overlooked feature... but a double edged one at that.

Archived