Corsair Community

New revision 3200c2 questions

qwerty123

My system: xp 3200 A7N8x 2.0 (non d) 512mb 3200 c2pt rev 1.2 @ 2-3-3-6 I bought my memory about 6 months ago, and at that time the recommended settings were 2-3-3-6. Looking at the site now however, I see that it is now 2-3-3-6 (2.5-3-3-6) on AMD, presumably from a new revision. I was looking to add more memory, but can?t afford 512mb right now, so I was looking to buy a cmx256A-c2pt now, and another in a few months time. I have the following questions: 1) Why on earth is this new revision recommended for less speed on AMD systems, as if it runs at cas 2 on Intel I see no reason why it shouldn?t on AMD? 2) Since the memory I have works at 2-3-3-6 my system is obviously stable at these settings, so would it be safe to assume it I could run the new revision at the more aggressive ?Intel settings? ? 3) If I do eventually get 2 sticks of the cmx256A-c2pt, will I be able to run it in duel channel with my 512 mb stick, or am I screwed because of the revision change? 4) (a)Would it be safer to save for a 512mb stick so if duel channel fails I can fall back on single channel.? (b) Would all 512mb sticks be compatible with the one I already have in single channel mode, regardless of model, revision, maker, etc, as long as they're pc3200 and I run at the settings of the slower stick? Sorry for asking so many questions, and I appreciate any help you can give me.

• Corsair Employees
1) Why on earth is this new revision recommended for less speed on AMD systems, as if it runs at Cass 2 on Intel I see no reason why it shouldn’t on AMD? [COLOR=Blue][B]Answer: Winbond stopped all production last December and we were forced to change to another IC, Infineon to be exact! This IC has similar properties but with AMD platform they will sometimes not run at Cass 2 and thus why the suggestion to run them at Cass 2.5![/B][/COLOR] 2) Since the memory I have works at 2-3-3-6 my system is obviously stable at these settings, so would it be safe to assume it I could run the new revision at the more aggressive ?Intel settings? ? [COLOR=Blue][B]Answer: No, I am sorry that would not be a safe assumption! In addition, I would not suggest mixing modules! You will need to have modules that are exactly matched with most MB's or the system may not post or it might be unstable![/B][/COLOR] 3) If I do eventually get 2 sticks of the cmx256A-c2pt, will I be able to run it in duel channel with my 512 Meg stick, or am I screwed because of the revision change? [COLOR=Blue][B]Answer: Same as above, I would suggest you try and match the modules you use both in part# and revision for best performance, and you should run them at Cass 2.5-3-3-7 for single modules! No matter if they are the same or not! We are sorry but we only guarantee Twinx sets at the rated speed with one set only![/B][/COLOR] 4) (a)Would it be safer to save for a 512mb stick so if duel channel fails I can fall back on single channel.? (b) Would all 512mb sticks be compatible with the one I already have in single channel mode, regardless of model, revision, maker, etc, as long as they're pc3200 and I run at the settings of the slower stick? [COLOR=Blue][B]Answer: I have answered this in the last 2 replies![/B][/COLOR]

Thanks for the reply, I'm not used to companies actually answering my questions :p: Unfortunately, my original plan was to just save for another stick like I had, but I had to scrape it because I couldn't find any 1.2's. I guess I'll just have to camp ebay for a while.

Also, keep in mind that any memory you buy off of ebay (i.e. not from a direct reseller) will not be covered under Corsair's warranty. Ram Guy: Man, no more blue text! I was getting this back and forth 3D efect going on when I read that post, alternating between white and blue text, eyes are still going in and out a bit. woah! :eek: :hihi: :thinking: :dunno:

Yeah, that seems fine :) Use quote boxes as well :) Eyes went back to normal after 5 min or so, but man was that wierd! Like one of those puzzles at the mall where you relax your eyes to "see the picture".

Archived