Corsair Community

Is my SSD running optimal for my system?

RandomHero

Very novice with all this and I am trying to find out if my SSD is running as optimal as possible for my system. I have done a few ATTO benchmarks and im not sure if the results are what I should expect. My BIOS has no option for AHCI, just IDE and Raid. I have never flashed a BIOS but would be willing to attempt if it would be worth it, and Asus EZ Flash supports it.

Benchmark Attached

8192.0 Write 111153 Read 127522

I did the Corsair guide first, and tried a few others http://http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds (superfetch) and keep getting about the same results.

I ordered a new SATA III cable, it was a dollar more then a normal cable and I know that theres no difference in speed between the two unless the cable is rigged up past 80 ft but it made me feel better :P

PS: If anyone also has any info on how I can get my BIOS into AHCI mode and if it would be worth the effort, thanks in advance.

A SSD running in IDE mode loses a large portion of it's potential performance. Without NCQ (Native Command Queuing) which AHCI mode provides, a SSD is stuck in first gear.

In the Intel SATA driver world, RAID mode provides all of the AHCI capabilities. I have no idea what RAID driver the NVIDIA chipset uses, and unless you can find a Windows driver (such as msahci) that will work on that chipset, updated drivers for the NVIDIA chipset likely do not exist, since those chipsets have been out of production for quite a while (relative to PC years.)

Flashing the BIOS is no big deal, not difficult or dangerous, and would be well worth it IF it gave you AHCI mode, and if the Windows AHCI driver (msahci, their generic AHCI driver, which is fine) worked with your chipset.

It will not let me attach the ATTO benchmark because its a .bkm file. Let me try a SS of it.

Another thing to note is that performance wise it is much quicker. Boot to windows loggin takes 18 sec with the Windows Load screen disabled and cached sites take maybe 2 sec max. I just want to get the best performance I can.

In a few months I do plan to replace the mobo and CPU, but a few months can turn into a few more :P

MyCorsairBenchmark.thumb.jpg.ef6963f5dde28b1665774c2bb880cda7.jpg

You're SSD is running at SATA I speeds, 1.5Gb/s, you're getting at best barely 130MB/s read speeds. Your NVIDIA chipset is the problem, and that will not change unless you can get it to run in AHCI mode. That will take some research and is not guaranteed to be successful. At best, you would reach SATA II speeds, ~250MB/s read speed. If you ran AS SSD Benchmark, you would see the typical/average performance of your SSD on that SATA interface. ATTO shows a SSDs best possible performance.

Your main goal should be getting a new board with a good SATA chipset interface.

Archived