Corsair Community

GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 with CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9

therob

I have the above mentioned motherboard with 1600 DDR3 OCZ gold, but I've always had issues with this configuration so I had to downlcock to 1333 to get it to work without crashing.

I want to upgrade my memory and want to go with the corsair vengeance 3X4 (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9).

The gigabyte website memory compatability list is severely outdated but on the corsair website it says this memory should be compatible with the GA-EX58-UD3R-sli series.

My question is, it specifically says "GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI" whereas my motherboard is GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6.

Can I expect it to work without any issues?

Alright so I got the ram and installed it.

XMP did not work (pc wouldn't boot), so I went with 9-9-9-24 timings and 2t command.

Put the voltage at 1.5 and qpi/vtt is at 1.36.

Does everything look good? I uploaded some pics from CPU-Z if you guys can please take a look.

Thanks!

edit: tri-chan mode obviously

1.jpg.e8cde11f58404c428b597f15703dd8ba.jpg

2.jpg.4a5cfbe9346b5a010300c948d640bf30.jpg

The reason I had it higher was because of the constant lockups I was getting with my previous ram. Didn't test this new ram with a lower qpi/vtt voltage.

So you're saying 1.25v should be fine?

And everything else looks peachy?

Most 920s I have seen were able to do 1600 with the QPI VTT at stock - 1.25v range at most. Yours could be an exception.

Hey Yellow beard, my 920 has never run on stock QPI. XMP would set QPI to 1.35v with my old 6 gig kit. The 24 gig kit i have now took 1.4v. *shrugs*

• Corsair Employees

There are so many CPU's it is easy to confuse them but this may help with Core I7 900 series CPU's and what Voltage is supported for the memory controller;

(C0) stepping CPU's can run with the QPI up to about 1.7 Volts.

(D0) stepping CPU's can run with the QPI up to about 1.45 Volts

(B0) stepping CPU's can run with the QPI up to about 1.25 Volts

Did you ever actually test 3 modules at lower voltages?

Yes actually,When i first put this rig together. I was getting errors and random crashes and that exact situation is what led me here. Even the 6 gig kit took 1.35v to get them stable.

Also, is your CPU a "C" stepping?

No it's a DO.

There are so many CPU's it is easy to confuse them but this may help with Core I7 900 series CPU's and what Voltage is supported for the memory controller;

(C0) stepping CPU's can run with the QPI up to about 1.7 Volts.

(D0) stepping CPU's can run with the QPI up to about 1.45 Volts

(B0) stepping CPU's can run with the QPI up to about 1.25 Volts

Hmm, i didn't kjnow there even was a B0. I was aware of the voltage difference that may be needed between the C0 and D0, but not the B0.

Do you know what the difference is between he C and D chips that would make the C0 need up to 1.7v QPI over the 1.45v for the D0? Seems like an awful large swing in the difference between the two.

And why so low for the B0? I would like to know just for curiosity sakes.

• Corsair Employees
Do you know what the difference is between he C and D chips that would make the C0 need up to 1.7V QPI over the 1.45v for the D0? Seems like an awful large swing in the difference between the two.

And why so low for the B0? I would like to know just for curiosity sakes.

It is not that it needed that much Voltage it was that you could with out damaging the CPU. And on some of the extreme O.C. Modules a few years ago that was what you had to do to get 2000+ MHz.

And as they have shrunk the CPU DIE the default voltage has been lowered and in some cases can cause damage to the CPU if over volt'ed. Or it may be come unstable if too much voltage is used. As you know the Max memory Voltage is 1.65 Volts for these CPU so the only voltage you can play with is the memory Controller Voltage. These are the Max Voltages you can use for the specific Cores but I would not suggest using that much Voltage if you don't need to.

Archived