Corsair Community

Problem Setting CMZ12GX3M3A2000C10 at 2000 MHz

soulraver

Hello Everyone,

I Bought a Corsair Vengeance kit 12GB (3x4GB)(CMZ12GX3M3A2000C10), i istalled the modules on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 with the latest bios update), when i tried to set the XMP profile1 my system couldnt boot and kept rebooting, the same thing happens at XMP profile2. My PC starts only when the default profile is selected and memory runs at 1066Mhz.

So if anyone could help me i would realy appreciate it.

With that CPU you will most likely have to add QPI voltage to them. (memory controller)

Load setup defaults and then enable XMP and raise your QPI/VTT voltage up to 1.35v and you can safely add up to 1.45v but no more than what is needed for stability, and see if that doesn't get you running at full speed.

2000mhz is an awfull huge overclock for your memory . And the I7 950's are notorious for having weak memory controllers.Most of them struggle when they approach 1866 mhz and the sweet spot seems to be 1600mhz . Just so you know there is a chance that your CPU will not run 2000mhz RAM at all.

@peanutz94 Thanks for your replay,

I just tried that, raised the QPI/VTT somewhere around 1.35 and enabled XMP. It still refuses to boot.

Any other idea would be welcome :D

I dont know alot about overclocking and i am a newbie in these kind of things, but shouldnt the memories run at that speed (2000Mhz) as the manufacturer says.

I just tried that, raised the QPI/VTT somewhere around 1.35 and enabled XMP. It still refuses to boot.

Try going to 1.45v QPI just for giggles. That is the max safe limit you would want to go with your memory controller voltage. If it still does not boot we will go another direction.

I dont know alot about overclocking and i am a newbie in these kind of things, but shouldnt the memories run at that speed (2000Mhz) as the manufacturer says.

Yes and no. Corsair will guarantee that those modules will run at rated speeds, but there many things that are dependent on those speeds. When a MB specs that 2000mhz ram is compatible you'll notice that it always has a little "(o.c)" next to it. That means those speeds are only achieved with overclocking. When you get into overclocking all bets are off and NOTHING is a guarantee. Some MB will only run those speed with just two modules installed and once you use 4 then the max speed the MB will run will be reduced.

Memory speeds are also highly dependent on your CPU as well. Your CPU has a max memory frequency of 1333mhz. So, of course to achieve higher you need to overclock.

How high a CPU will overclock is dependent on the memory controller located in the CPU itself. Since every CPU is different they are all going to overclock differently. Even with in the same CPU family. Now like i stated above the 950's are notorious for having the weakest memory controllers out of them all and a 2000mhz overclock might not be possible.

People often see that a mother board will support or be "compatible" with really fast memory and then assume that it should run no matter what and not realize that those speeds are dependent on many other things, such as CPU , memory controller, timings, voltages and so on. Unless you are an extreme overclocker who pushing a system to it's knees with liquid nitrogen,and so on, i can't see a need for anything over 1600mhz. There is no marginal performance gain between 1600 and 1866 or 2000mhz, unless you are going to run benchmarks for bragging rights.

Basically the higher frequency memories are marketed to the overclocking community, and not so much the everyday user. People expect plug and play operation, and with performance memory it's not always like that. Budget memory on the other hand is.

Now X.M.P. was supposed to simplify the overclocking process, setting voltages , timings and so on for you, but it still has to be able to overcome the limitations of your memory controller.

If you look at my rig, i have a pretty similar set up. I also hit a wall about 1800mhz and then no matter what i do it either wont post or get through a complete boot without locking up at that frequency. I have hit the limits of what my CPU's memory controller can handle. Thats just the way it is. I was able to squeeze out a 4.5ghz CPU overclock with all 24gigs running at 1600mhz. You might try to overclock your CPU with your RAM at a lower frequency to achieve a much responsive system. Rule of thumb is don't sacrifice memory frequency for CPU frequency. You'll see a larger performance boost with a CPU overclock than memory.

Any other idea would be welcome :D

Yes, you can try to manually set the frequency to something lower like 1866mhz. Use the timings for 2000mhz because they will be a little more relaxed than a lower frequency, and that will give you the best shot to run at 1866mhz. If 1866mhz gives you the same trouble lets try 1600mhz and try to work up to a higher frequency. Even if you have to settle for 1866, its still a HUGE memory overclock for you.

The other thing you can do is look for overclocking guides on the net. Google is you friend. There are many out there and tons of them MB specific.

when i tried to set the XMP profile1 my system couldnt boot and kept rebooting, the same thing happens at XMP profile2. My PC starts only when the default profile is selected and memory runs at 1066Mhz.

This is your MB telling you it did not like the settings you have selected. So it recovers and puts your memory back to default values to gain stability to let the machine boot normally.

It may be worth your while to run the memory through memtest one stick at a time just to be sure the memory itself is not failing.There is a link on the left side of the forums for memtest if you need it.

To test, instal just one stick in the first slot, load set-up defaults and let the memory run for about 3-4 complete passes OR until you get an error. I had to say that because there have been people let the test keep going after seeing an errors and thats just a waste of time. Since you can't get the MB to post at 2000mhzXMP just use the default settings of 1066 or 1333. If memory is going to fail , it will fail at any frequency , not just higher ones.

If it passes memtest at default settings then it is your CPU's memory controller keeping you from running at 2000mmhz.And we will have to find a lower stable frequency

Archived