Corsair Community

Four AX850/750 PSUs, all four noisy in different ways...

doobooloo

I realize this is a heavily discussed issue on this forum, but I thought I should share my experience since I have gone through four PSUs so far and all of them have shown different noise issues.

1st PSU: AX850, makes loud buzzing noise when computer is turned off. Once powered on, buzz goes away. Sent in for RMA replacement, took many weeks. Tried on three different motherboard/CPU combo with same results.

2nd PSU: Another AX850, purchased as the RMA replacement wait time was getting too long (weeks). While this unit was quiet when PC was turned off, it had the opposite (and worse) effect of producing buzzing noise during use. This was consistent across two different motherboard/CPU combos. Returned unit to vendor as defective unit.

3rd PSU: This was the long-awaited replacement RMA unit from Corsair. For a few days I thought I finally had a winner - some extremely faint buzzing noise in both on or off, but faint enough that when cased up it is not audible over the fan noises. However, after a few days I noticed that a louder, very audible buzzing noise would randomly start during use and only go away with a hard re-boot of the system. Not triggered by heavy GPU use (happens when I am browsing the web or something) - not sure what triggers it but so far it seems random and unrelated to any heavy use of a particular PC component. Very bothersome as it is impossible to nail down what causes the PSU to start buzzing.

4th PSU: I wanted to RMA the 3rd unit but another weeks-long wait time for a replacement would not be acceptable, so I purchased an AX750 to get me by during the RMA process and use the replacement PSU in a second build or something. The AX750 unfortunately had yet another, different quirk - producing loud buzzing when there is activity on the screen - animation during boot, moving the mouse, resizing windows, scrolling web sites, etc... So, this was returned to the vendor as a defective unit before I could get the new RMA started for the 3rd PSU unit above.

So, right now I am still using the 3rd AX850 PSU and I really need to replace it as the random noise is driving me nuts, but I am honestly scared at this point to purchase another unit or ask for an RMA since I may get yet another defective unit with an even worse noise issue. My current rig is very Corsair-heavy (Corsair case, memory, cooling) and I would like to keep it that way but with four high-end PSUs defective out of four brand new units I had to go through, and over a hundred bucks spent already on return shipping and restocking fees, I am not sure what to do now.

As for the disabling the CPU power saving options as suggested by the sticky thread - none of it worked in any of the four scenarios.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I should add that the big selling point of the AX series PSUs was the hybrid silent fan control, since one of my top goals for this build was low noise... so even though the noise may not affect electrical performance, the noise itself is a measure of performance in this case. So yes, maybe I am listening too closely to the PSU, but I think the above four scenarios are not something one expects from a near $200 PSU that touts silence as one of its main virtues...

In addition to emailing customer support about this issue yesterday (through the web email form), I have just submitted an online RMA request as well.

For all the Corsair people here: my case number for this RMA request is 2529398.

Happy holidays... looking forward to getting this resolved soon so I can start enjoying my PC without worrying about the buzzing PSU noise!

I realize this is a heavily discussed issue on this forum, but I thought I should share my experience since I have gone through four PSUs so far and all of them have shown different noise issues.

1st PSU: AX850, makes loud buzzing noise when computer is turned off. Once powered on, buzz goes away. Sent in for RMA replacement, took many weeks. Tried on three different motherboard/CPU combo with same results.

2nd PSU: Another AX850, purchased as the RMA replacement wait time was getting too long (weeks). While this unit was quiet when PC was turned off, it had the opposite (and worse) effect of producing buzzing noise during use. This was consistent across two different motherboard/CPU combos. Returned unit to vendor as defective unit.

3rd PSU: This was the long-awaited replacement RMA unit from Corsair. For a few days I thought I finally had a winner - some extremely faint buzzing noise in both on or off, but faint enough that when cased up it is not audible over the fan noises. However, after a few days I noticed that a louder, very audible buzzing noise would randomly start during use and only go away with a hard re-boot of the system. Not triggered by heavy GPU use (happens when I am browsing the web or something) - not sure what triggers it but so far it seems random and unrelated to any heavy use of a particular PC component. Very bothersome as it is impossible to nail down what causes the PSU to start buzzing.

4th PSU: I wanted to RMA the 3rd unit but another weeks-long wait time for a replacement would not be acceptable, so I purchased an AX750 to get me by during the RMA process and use the replacement PSU in a second build or something. The AX750 unfortunately had yet another, different quirk - producing loud buzzing when there is activity on the screen - animation during boot, moving the mouse, resizing windows, scrolling web sites, etc... So, this was returned to the vendor as a defective unit before I could get the new RMA started for the 3rd PSU unit above.

So, right now I am still using the 3rd AX850 PSU and I really need to replace it as the random noise is driving me nuts, but I am honestly scared at this point to purchase another unit or ask for an RMA since I may get yet another defective unit with an even worse noise issue. My current rig is very Corsair-heavy (Corsair case, memory, cooling) and I would like to keep it that way but with four high-end PSUs defective out of four brand new units I had to go through, and over a hundred bucks spent already on return shipping and restocking fees, I am not sure what to do now.

As for the disabling the CPU power saving options as suggested by the sticky thread - none of it worked in any of the four scenarios.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Had more or less the same problem with two AX850, the last one was working fine but at the back the power lead I had to try many times in/out to make it powering up.

I gave up AX850 and replaced it with AX750. It is working fine so far.

Archived