Corsair Community

New CMX512-3200C2 problems

Azhreal

I just got a new 512 stick of CMX512-3200C2 to match my other exact same model number ram (one is CMX256-3200C2) and my MSI k8t neo fisr-2 socket 754 board is beeping at me 3 times in a continuous fashion. The new ram stick will run fine by itself, but it will beep if I try either of the other 2 sticks in with it. Both the older sticks are rev 1.1 and the new one is 3.1, so how am I supposed to get new ram if newer revision ram won't work with what I've got? I've tried default settings for the mobo, cas2 3-6-3, cas2.5 4-8-4 and a couple other combinations to no avail. I just got the latest bios for my motherboard and have tried every possible ram slot combination with the board and ram so if there's anything else left to try please let me know.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry, but with this MB like many that are on the market the modules would need to be exactly matched both n part# and revision! I would see if you can find a use for the older module and then send this back and get a Twinx1024-3200LL instead!

Not the answer I was hoping for but if that is the only answer then I guess that's what it will have to be :(: I was hoping to have 1280 ram in the machine opposed to 1 gig, so getting twinX ram would help yes, but I still wanted to break that gig mark by a small amount. I currently have 768... going to a gig from that isn't worth the hassle of trying to sell this ram and buy all new :[pouts: And LOL... tryin to milk me for the high end LL stuff eh? GEEZ! :laughing:

• Corsair Employees
LOL! No please don’t take it that way; I did not realize you had them already! In addition, I always suggest what I would and do use personally! But you will need to match the modules both in part# and revision, in order to add more to your system! That is assuming your MB will see more than 6 banks!

So if I want to run 1.5gb with 512 dimms what do you suggest? I have a lower budget then LL ram, lol. If I could sell this 768 for $150 or so, can I just buy 2 more of these sticks and to try and tell zipzoom or whoever I order it from that the revision and model numbers MUST match the one they sent me? 3 512 dimms of rev 3.1 CMX512-3200C2 should run without a hitch correct? How bout I just sell it all, RMA the new and buy a gig stick of 2.5 value ram and 512 value ram, lol.. sigh.. i would even consider it. 1.5 gig is 1.5 gig no? ;)

Very disappointing... I put my girlfriends Kingston Value Ram pc2700 stick in with my older corsair chips and the system boots fine. I haven't ran any tests yet, but it appears I may have to mix and match ram since I cannot afford to completely start over. Ram should not be so picky... same model number ram should ALWAYS work with itself.

• Corsair Employees
Well I understand your frustration, but it's not the memory as much as it is the chipset! In addition, we have suggested that you use or get the memory you plan one using, because mixing memory can be a tricky at best! Not to mention, we as a module maker are subject to the IC's that are available at any time, and IC makers will change the DIE from time to time and may not be compatible with older versions depending on the application! Most module makers will not even tell you something has changed!

Well.. I guess my option is to somehow find a revision 1.1 stick of CMX512-3200C2 or completely start over buying new ram.. in which case it would have to be value ram $85 sticks since I want 1.5 gig of it. The kingston spazzed all over everything with the corsair like I figured it would and the Corsair refuses to boot at cas3 even by itself so I can't test that out with the value ram. I wish I could afford 1.5gb of nice Corsair but that's just not an option... I need to spend $300 tops for 1.5 gig. Two more sticks of what I got would cost $360 total, but if I did get three sticks of CMX512-3200C2 and it's rev 3.1 it should all run flawlessly with eachother right? Is Corsairs Value Ram really crappy compared to those sticks? lol.

• Corsair Employees
Our Value Select is a great value and would be a good choice! VS1GBkit400 or 2 [URL=http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80098-34]VS1GB400C3[/URL] modules would be 2.0 Gig and not much more, that would give you 2.0 Gig of memory! But you would not see much difference between 1.0 Gig of memory and 1.5 Gig!

I won't see much improvement between 1gig to 1.5gig in gaming? All I do on the box is game.. period, and a tiny bit of coding and web design that doesn't amount to enough to warrant lots of ram. I'm going to be playing Everquest2 on this box, I'm basically gearing it up for it and 768 ram is kind of that sweet spot that used to be good but is now not enough to be really efficient. I know games like SWG, and even Diablo2 of all things use 600 - 800 mb of ram so I just wanted to keep from ever swapping to the hd. It says 100% tested on value ram so I guess it has to be decent huh? ;) Really appreciate all your help Ram Guy, and sorry for turning it into a "what's best for what I'm trying to do" thread. Basically it looks like I gotta replace it all, so now I need to decide if 1 gig is enough for gaming, or if i need 1.5 - 2 and what modules to get that would result in a max spending of $300.

I'm leaning towards [url]http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80098-34[/url] and [url]http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80098-6[/url] That would be 1.5gb for $300 unless you say it's not necessary... I'd rather have the cas2.5 value ram over 3.. I don't want your absolute worst chips! :laughing:

• Corsair Employees
No problem at all! That is what I am here for! I would suggest however that you go for either 1.0 Gig or with 2.0 Gig of memory using 2 modules only as that would give the best performance! And as I said, i doubt you would see the benefit if any running 1.5 gig of memory, in fact because of chipset loading you may have to slow the system down with more than 2 modules and might defeat the purpose of having more memory! However, running 2 1.0 Gig modules would be an advantage in that case and you would see the benefit of 2.0 Gig over 1.0 Gig of memory with the usage you have described!

Why can't you guys make 768mb dimms?? :D: :D: Ok.. Since I want 1.5gb it looks like I'll have to get 2gb. What sucks is I need to get it all now or never else I'll fall into the same problem if I wait to get the 2nd 1gb stick during Christmas. Why can't things be simple?

Archived