Corsair Community

is it safe to install h70 backplate withut any adhesive backing?

jamiehavok

hi

basicly i have no adhesive backing on my h70 because it is kinda still on the old motherboard. is it safe just to install the backplate to new mobo without any adhesive backing? all there is is a bit of fluff left where the adhesive backing used to be on the backplate barely a milimetre thick.

thanks.

I would order a new back plate so you have the back of the MB protected. without the foam you run the risk of damaging the traces on the back of the MB.

When you get your new bracket do not remover the adhesive backing so it does not stick to the MB. That way if you have to swap it to another system you are not in the same boat! :)

http://www.corsair.com/parts/cooling-parts/cwch50-brktkit.html

Peanutz is basically correct, but isn't the H70 backplate made of plastic? I may be wrong about that. If it is plastic, you may be able to use the old one. Some backplates use adhesive on them to hold them in place to make assembly easier. You can use masking tape instead to hold it in position during the mounting process, and then remove it when finished. But as Peanutz said, the foam would add some needed padding or protection for the board, but you can judge if you can get away without using any.

His advice about not removing the covering over the adhesive is a great idea. Again, just use masking tape to hold the backplate in place.

but isn't the H70 backplate made of plastic? I may be wrong about that.

It is plastic Parsec. But it is still pretty ridgid, just figured it was better safe than sorry . Actually if you found any kind of dense soft material that could be cut to fit would also work. I have used craft foam that you can buy in varying thicknesses back plates in the past.

You can get a whole sheet for less than a buck. It comes in various colors and even has an adhesive backing to stick it to the back plate. This is also handy if all you can find is the thin sheets. They can easily be stacked on top of each other to build up the right thickness.

Archived