Corsair Community

ThinkPad R32 and ValueSelect PC3200 Compatible?

Pinco

Being a PC guy I think I ingenuily thought laptop ram was straight forward and bought the wrong RAM... I was planning on increasing the RAM on my ThinkPad R32, looking at the ram present I saw it was a Samsung 128MB So-dimm DDR PC2100. Looking on my online shopping site I saw they had 256MB ValueSelect SO-DIMM PC3200 and bought it. I thought that like on desktop the ram was simply going to run at PC2100. Once I received the RAM I installed it following the manual and upon rebooting the fan starts spinning then stops and I get a sequence of beeps 1, 3, 3, 1 then nothing, removing the extra ram solves the problem. I searched for this beep sequence but did not find a match :-\ What might be the problem? Does IBM use some kind of special IBM DDR?

• Corsair Employees
First thing you would not be able to mix the memory you have now and our module! Second thing, many notebooks and or OEM systems to not provide the full table to use faster memory at a slower speed! If your notebook only support DDR266, then you may need to use a DDR266 module to make the system post!

Archived