Corsair Community

Very bad performance of F120 in notebook

kuebk

So finally I bought F3 120gb ssd for my dad drive.

The hdd which was in the notebook had 3 partitions: diag, recovery and some kind of multimedia ********ion for alternative boot.

I've cloned all these 3 partitions to the ssd drive and created new 4th partition for the system.

Reinstalled the Vista, installed all available updates and service packs. Also installed latest possible drivers.

And the ssd performance is not much better than 5400 hdd performance which was previously in this notebook. And I started to get freezes when coming back from sleep mode.

So my problems are:

1. poor performance compared to 5400rpm hdd, haven't noticed very big performance gain

2. freezes when coming back from sleep mode

What I've done so far:

- AHCI in BIOS

- Updated bios to newest version

- Reinstalled system

- Installed all windows updates and service packs

- Installed newest version of Intel Matrix Storage (can't install Rapid Storage Technology because setup says: "hardware is not compatible")

Driver versions:

Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller, version: 8.9.0.1023, date: 2009-06-04

Hardware is:

Dell Inspiron 1525, service tag: HVLR04J

Corsair Force3 120gb, firmware version: 1.3.3

Screenshot:

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/4189/f3120performance.jpg

Test was done on maximum performance profile.

Looking forward to get any help, thanks. :)

Hi,

first of all, please use ATTO benchmark and post your results. This is the only benchmark tool to compare your speeds with advertised speeds. The GM965/ICH8M chipset supports only SATA2 connection, you will never see the advertised SATA3 speeds with this notebook.

Regarding your sleep issues, maybe these stickys might help:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=94439

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95875

As this chipset was released more than 4 years ago, there might be compatibility issues with modern, high-performance SSDs.

Yes, I know controller only supports SATA2 and that's what I'm expecting from this ssd.

Here is ATTO:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3426/f3120atto.jpg

EDIT: Reinstalled Intel INF with overall switch what give me new AHCI driver version: 7.0.0.1013 dated: 2010-06-08 with following results:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7830/f3120drivers.jpg

ATTO benchmark looks fine, that are the supposed speeds for SATA2. The first one looks even better.

- Installed newest version of Intel Matrix Storage (can't install Rapid Storage Technology because setup says: "hardware is not compatible")

Which version did you try to install? I have an Acer laptop with Intel GM965/ICH8M chipset, Intel RST 10.1.0.1008 runs fine.

Yea I know that ATTO looks fine but imo the disk doesn't perform as it should.

When I was moving in my desktop PC from 2x 7200rpm hdds in raid 0 to Force 60gb (basen on SF-12xx) the performance gain was enermous (mobo is Rampage Formula), in notebook I don't see a big difference between ssd and 5400rpm hdd.

I've tried to install latest RST available on Intel Download Center, will try your version.

Dont for get Laptops chipsets are always going to fall behind a desktops its the same with every think really cpu, gpu, chipset, controllers, ram these are all mobile low power parts which don't perform any were close to a desktops counter part, those scores look normal for a SATA 2 laptop.

As I said before scores look fine, but I can't see a difference in how fast things are done between hdd and ssd in this notebook and that's not fine for me.

What do you mean by how fast things are done? Do you mean in general, or performing a specific task, using certain software, gaming, or what?

The 4k benches are rather low, but given what the 4k benches for a 5400 RPM drive would be, easily ten times slower, it's surprising that the performance would be the same using either drive.

Since this laptop uses the ICH8M, it is relatively old, and I suspect the issue is with the chipset, as well as what is set in the BIOS by the manufacture (Dell) that is not accessible by the user. For example, the following is from the ICH8M datasheet:

The ICH8 has integrated SATA host controllers that supports independent DMA operation on up to six ports (desktop only) or three ports (mobile only) and supports data transfer rates of up to 3.0 Gb/s (300 MB/s). The SATA controller contains two modes of operation – a legacy mode using I/O space, and an AHCI mode using memory space. SATA and PATA (Mobile only) can also be used in a combined function mode (where the SATA function is used with PATA). In this combined function mode, AHCI mode is not used. Software that uses legacy mode will not have AHCI capabilities

• 2 weeks later...
ATTO benchmark looks fine, that are the supposed speeds for SATA2. The first one looks even better.

Which version did you try to install? I have an Acer laptop with Intel GM965/ICH8M chipset, Intel RST 10.1.0.1008 runs fine.

Ok, I've downloaded and installed that version. Here are the results:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/552/39396775.jpg

The driver version is 10.1.0.1008 and is dated: 2010-11-06.

Are results ok now?

OMG, Vista, I just noticed that! So let's see, Vista (always slow booting), probably 32 bit and no TRIM, maybe 2GB of memory, who knows what CPU among those available (dual core, most sub-2GHz), seemingly weird implementation of the ICH8 (tests with the stock HDD were below 40MB/s at best), and to sum up, it's an older laptop. It's a miracle it benches as well as it does, but real world is another story. Not the SSDs fault, and to many unknowns to diagnose in a forum, not to mention the intrinsic limitations in the PC. No miracle fix exists.

Archived