Corsair Community

Sandforce SSD for P67(B3) Question

eir

Hello, I'm new to these forums and unsure if this is the right place for this, but I wished to make an inquiry:

I currently own an SSD:

******** 3 Series – MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I attempted to use it with my ASUS Sabertooth P67(B3) motherboard in the Intel 6.0Gb/s interface. Even with the latest BIOS (2001) and firmware (2.15) I've had nothing but problems. I've had sporadic BSODs (mostly inpage kernel errors) which I've isolated as to be an issue with this SSD. I've used MS drivers, and IRST, made sure I was in ACHI, etc. Basically everything under the sun, and still having problems.

To that end, I was considering swapping brands to Corsair with the purchase of this SSD:

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F120GB3A-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Do you think I'll have similar problems? Or should I just avoid sandforce SSDs altogether?

An interesting question. I have your mother board, and have used several non-SandForce SSDs with it, and they all worked fine, so it is not the board causing problems with SSDs in general.

IMO, your current SSD tends to have more issues than others using the SandForce controller, although for whatever reason, SandForce based SSDs seem to have more issues than SSDs without SandForce controllers.

No one can guarantee another SandForce based SSD will work better for you, but it is definitely worth a try.

I guess I missed that there was a new BIOS released on the 14th of this month (2103), I can see if that'll help any.

Also, for now I've been using the SSD I do have in the Marvell controller at a performance hit, but I incur far less frequent BSODs vs. the Intel.

Hi guys, more specifically the errors I encounter with SATAIII sandforce SSDs on this board (as system drive) based on minidump analysis:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED, indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk.

It appears that sometimes the controller doesn't see the SSD, and if used as a system disk throws a BSOD. If not used as a system disk, it is treated as though the drive was disconnected and is "dropped" from the explorer.

Hi guys, more specifically the errors I encounter with SATAIII sandforce SSDs on this board (as system drive) based on minidump analysis:

It appears that sometimes the controller doesn't see the SSD, and if used as a system disk throws a BSOD. If not used as a system disk, it is treated as though the drive was disconnected and is "dropped" from the explorer.

That is a typical SandForce BSOD error, the disappearing SSD. The mystery that is the SandForce BSOD issue that some users have likely lives, IMO, either deep within the bowels of the firmware, or is an occasional manufacturing bug in the controller itself, since there has never been a definitive cause identified. How does a product work fine for most users, but fail in consistent ways for a fair amount of others, when the associated hardware is the same or not extremely different (ie, a handful of SATA chipsets and drivers from two or three manufactures.) Perfect examples of this are the experiences of eir and mjordan, in this thread. The firmware "fix" from SandForce in October of this year has not been declared a huge success, but also not a failure.

There are rumors that an upcoming Intel SSD will use the Sandforce 2281 controller. That SSD has been delayed for unknown reasons, but should be available next year. More rumors state Intel is working on their enhancements to the firmware, which apparently has not gone well. Then again, Intel's idea of firmware validation may be different than that of SandForce, since the latter released the firmware fix after three weeks of testing.

OK, well I'm going to try out a Corsair sandforce, specifically the one I listed above. If I experience similar BSOD issues I'll chalk it up to a sandforce FW issue that is beyond my control.

I will then look into non-sandforce options -- any recommendations?

I will then look into non-sandforce options -- any recommendations?

Well, Corsair has their new Performance 3 Series SSDs, that use the Marvell 6Gb/s controller, which is also used by (if the following is not censored, just search on the Marvell SSD controller, sorry Corsair) Intel and ********. I just happen to have both of those SSDs, and I never have random BSODs.

If you want to go with Corsair, you should check out the Performance 3 series.

Well, Corsair has their new Performance 3 Series SSDs, that use the Marvell 6Gb/s controller, which is also used by (if the following is not censored, just search on the Marvell SSD controller, sorry Corsair) Intel and ********. I just happen to have both of those SSDs, and I never have random BSODs.

If you want to go with Corsair, you should check out the Performance 3 series.

Performance 3 or the newer Performance Pro Series ?

You're right, my mistake, the new Performance Pro series. Corsair's info page for those SSDs states it uses the Marvell controller.

Yes from the info I've searched this drive(Performance Pro) The Marvell controller has Marvell latest firmware as it original firmware

That's good news, as my M4's performance improved with their latest firmware update. Actually not surprisingly, another SSD that uses this controller (510) has not offered a firmware update. The 510's manufacture tends to be very conservative about performance, reliability comes first. I use a 510 as well, and in benchmarks it's performance is lower than the M4, less than half the AS SSD overall score, both same capacity (well, 128GB and 120GB.) In actual use, it's not easy to tell the difference between the two overall. I also use a new model from another manufacture, the 830. Each of these SSDs has certain areas they perform better in than the other, they each trade one performance factor for another is seems. FYI, I have never had any issues at all with either of my Marvell-controller SSDs, and I mean nothing, zero BSODs, no stuttering, no disappearing SSD. I use all Intel CPUs and chipsets, ICH10R SATA II, and P67 SATA III, and IRST driver.

Not to long ago changed three PCs to RAID 0 with these SSDs for OS drives, except using three Intel G2's in one of them. They all work fine, scary how issue free they've been for me, I keep checking to see if I actual have them all in RAID 0, I'm lucky or doing something right.

The Performance Pro specs seem to not trade one thing for another, and hopefully that will show up in any review testing. Their price seems to be higher than others at the moment, almost bought one but found some bargains on other new models. I can't recall if this drive uses different NAND chips than the M4, both are 25nm NAND, but there are other differences. Micron announced they have their new 20nm process NAND chips in early production stages, but consumers won't see that until 2013 apparently. Yes, 2013. The next five years will be wild in the SSD and NAND world, we need SATA IV more than USB 3.0 IMO.

Hey, just wanted to give an update. Over the weekend I got my Corsair SSD (the one listed in OP). I checked the firmware with the utility and it came with 1.3.3 already on it -- so I did not need to flash it. I secure erased it using parting magic on my usb boot drive, and then installed Win7 in AHCI mode with the 10.8 iaStor F6 drivers. Using the intel port.

Once windows came up I installed all the other drivers I had pre-downloaded from my motherboard's web-site, did windows update, wei, setup preferences, etc.

So far, system is stable! I haven't experienced any BSODs, freezes, or crashes.

It just works.

Not sure what the issue was with the ******** ssd that gave me so many issues. BTW, all intel CPU, chipset, etc. here as well.

Archived