Corsair Community

Slow speeds with new Force 3 180 GB

zobbyblob

Hey guys, I just bought a Corsair Force Series 3 180gb ssd and I ran the ATTO benchmarking tool. It told me that my drive was only writing at about 2/5ths of the speed it should be (about 225mb/s). Looking at the commercial speeds (~500mb/s), I am considerably slower. I also compared it to these results: http://www.servethehome.com/corsair-force-series-3-120gb-review-benchmarks/

I believe the only major tip I am not sure if I have done is checking if the SSD is in ACHI mode. I changed the registry and restarted, do I need to change the bios as well or should it be enabled by default?

Could this be causing my drive to be around 300mb/s slower than advertised?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, have a good day :biggrin:

I believe the only major tip I am not sure if I have done is checking if the SSD is in ACHI mode. I changed the registry and restarted, do I need to change the bios as well or should it be enabled by default?

You will need to check BIOS and set SATA controller to AHCI mode. I guess it is set to IDE by default.

Could this be causing my drive to be around 300mb/s slower than advertised?

No, that is not the reason. The problem is the Marvell SATA3 controller, which is connected via only one PCIe lane, resulting in a theoretical maximum of 5 Gb/s transfer speed. Besides that the Marvell controller is bugged and will never achieve full SATA3 speeds. The only ways to have full SATA3 speed would be either buying a high-priced SATA3 RAID PCIe card (LSI, Intel, stay away from Highpoint), or a new mobo (P67/Z68) with native Intel SATA3 controller (and a new CPU as well). The latter would be the cheaper way.

Post a pic of your ATTO results.

Thanks for the responses guys, I just set my controllers to AHCI mode, my read speeds seem to be very much improved, but not quite 500mb/s. Read speeds seem to be the same.

I also made sure I'm plugged into a SATA 3 port.

I've included the benchmarks this time.

Benchmarks.thumb.png.aa947f089bc175184f742262b016d9bf.png

To reiterate what madnisman said, you are seeing the limitations of the Marvell SATA III port.

This seems to be a quick fix then :biggrin: How do I tell the difference between Marvell SATA 3 ports and SATA 3 ports?

I have a X58A-3D3R revision 2 motherboard.

I got it guys, I read through the manual and learned that all my SATA 3 ports were GSATA 3 and controlled by Marvell, but my SATA 2 ports are the other type (ICH?), but I'm hitting the SATA 2 transfer cap.

Looks like I need a new mobo with ICH SATA 3 ports.

Archived