Corsair Community

Single Channel + Dual Channel = ?

morgarp2

Hi, I am a little unfamiliar with some of the comings and going ons of ram, so I have a question. I currently have the TwinX1024-3200LL PRo Dual Channel Memory (which is 2 sticks of 512) in my computer. Now I would like to upgrade and get some more ram, but short of getting the TwinX2048 to replace my current Sticks, I am unable to get another set of Dual Channel because I only have 3 memory slots in my motherboard. My question is if I were to purchase the CMX1024-3200Pro, would I be able to use it at the same time as the TwinX1024 sticks. And if so what speed hits might I take. The TwinX Ram Latency is 2-3-2-6, while the single CMX Ram Latency is 3-4-4-8. Can I assume that all of my ram would run at a latency of 3-4-4-8? Also would I lose the Dual-Channel nature of my TwinX ram? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. Todd

• Corsair Employees
No I am sorry you would not be able to do that! With most chipsets used today, you will need to have the modules exactly matched or the system may not post or be stable! I would suggest you find another use for the memory that you have now and just get Twinx2048-3200 for best performance!

Archived