Corsair Community

Also Cannot Boot Computer After Adding Ram

onemoreBob

Computer originally came with 4GB ram (two 2GB corsair ram sticks). I decided to give myself a Holidays present, 4GB more ram. Originals were:VS2GB800D2. I searched for and found two more of the same type (VS2GB800D2). The only difference was that: originals were individual and the new ones were packaged together with the label Corsair 4GB Value Select.

When I installed them and booted, after post, I got a BSOD with a stop:0X0000007E (0XC0000005,0X00000000),0XF78AA0BC,0XF78A9DB8).

Thinking something must be wrong with the new ram I shutdown and removed them but at reboot the same thing happened and it continues to happen. I am no longer able to boot my machine. MERRY Holidays!

This is my first use of Corsair memory. I've added ram to other machines I've owned without problems as this. This is not giving me confidence to to want to continue with Corsair Memory

I cannot read stop:0X0000007E (0XC0000005,0X00000000,0XF78AA0BC,0XF78A9DB8).

I would appreciate any help in solving this.

Hello;

Actually, after running mem test ver 4.2 and finding no errors I inserted one of my original modules and tried to boot. It was successful so I shut down and inserted the second module. that too was successful. Should I now then remove the originals and insert the new modules? If I do, how do I get the others to work, in either case?

nothing, just use it. mixing ram is not suggested supported or recommended so just go with the new ram.

its not the memories fault that they cannot be mixed, its a memory controller issue on your CPU that gets too confused and wont allow mixing of ram and be stable.

i mean you can try one stick at a time added to the new ram, try 1 old and 1 new per channel and see what happens. there are no guarantees though.

good luck.

Yes I did read them. I tried your suggestion of adding one stick at a time and that worked. I now have four sticks totaling 8GB successfully added to my machine. That is, no apparent problems or instability. Also my Gigabyte MB self adjusted the memory configuration. With only two sticks I used to have an option in the bios to set voltage for memory. Now I don't. It instead reads memory is optimized.

I have read other posts on this site about the wisdom, or lack of it, of adding more ram to one's computer. I understand mixing ram from other manufacturers is not a good idea. And even mixing greater and lower number of gigabytes within the same manufacturer can be troublesome. However, I don't buy the concept being extolled on this site that any ram even ram of the same manufacturer and chip numbers is ill advised as you're asking for trouble. My MB, as I'm sure most others are, contain multiple slots for memory sticks. My owners manual states that more ram can be added if desired. It further states that they should be of the same manufacturer and type. It does not say you cannot add more. I personally feel there is a flaw in the chips produced by Corsair, hence, the resistance to adding more ram that this site disseminates.

If the people of this site and Corsair do not accept the concept that ram can be added, then a warning should accompany the prior purchase of any size and amount of Corsair memory modules. Without such warning and my machine fails to operate as intended, then Corsair should refund the purchase price of all modules. I purchased my modules in good faith. I resented your advice that I should only use the new modules. My originals worked just fine, thank you, and I wanted the new ones to increase my ram. As far as I'm concerned, I in the future, will not purchase any Corsair memory modules. I now believe them to be inferior to other modules in the market.

Thank you for replying to my post and providing the advise that facilitated the successful addition of ram to my machine.

onemoreBob

first off, im glad i helped.

second thing, it was only because of the memory controller being on the CPU instead of the motherboard that cause the issue with mixing ram for the most part. also what Corsair is saying is that if all the sticks were not pretested together before packaging as a single kit the results of combining them is unpredictable. the heatsinks can look the same but the chips, traces, icp's and controller chips on the ram can come from different BOMs and can cause instability when paired up with other ram including the same model#.

when they are pretested all the sticks in the package all come from the same lot revision and BOM. thats the only way any manufacturer can protect their customers and themselves from the least amount of potential issues that may arise.

also no warning is needed because the memory finder shows what single kits are compatible, there is no way for them to guarantee both kits you buy are from the same batch once they reach the store nor is implied that combining 2 or more kits is an acceptable practice. Corsair is not alone in this problem, no manufacturer will officially support 2 separate kits even the same part number. if you see any please link me as i have not seen it ones in these many years.

im not trying to be a chooch, im posting this more for others than yourself, you got lucky and you are up and running. i truly am happy it worked out for you.

• Corsair Employees
If the people of this site and Corsair do not accept the concept that ram can be added, then a warning should accompany the prior purchase of any size and amount of Corsair memory modules. Without such warning and my machine fails to operate as intended, then Corsair should refund the purchase price of all modules.

I think you are looking at this from a different perspective; We state that the modules are tested as they are sold; (IE one set) and no where do we guarantee that you can mix and match memory modules this practice while it has been done over the years has always been a challenge at times and there is no way we or any one else can make the guarantee. So yes it can be done but some times no matter what you try different memory modules may not work together. In fact we have stated several hundred times on this forum that Mixing memory is not suggested or supported. Even if you purchase two sets of modules that are the same version and part number there is just no way to be sure they will run together unless they are tested together. That is why we developed the matched sets with 2, 3, 4, or 6 modules in one set. This currently the only way we can guarantee compatibility.

Archived