Corsair Community

issue

teemumilto

I just found out the terrible truth about my purchase. It is still in the mail, but three DIMMS will only run in triple channel mode, not quad as is the best. I should have bought http://www.corsair.com/dominator-gt-with-dhx-pro-connector-1-5v-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmt16gx3m4x2133c9.html .

However, don't think I'm returning it. The motherboard doesn't mind it either, weather it was triple, dual or quad channel memory. It just runs the memory as fast as the front side bus FSB dictates. The memory channel count is a multiplier of the bandwidth that DIMMS usually have with the motherboard. I won't return it, and have to settle with spending 280 euros into almost best product. Oh well.

Is it so, that as my motherboard G41m-P28 has a 1066 Mhz FSB, DDR will run at that speed, half of the 2000 Mhz, and bring the latencies automatically to the level? If this memory CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 usually have 9-11-9-27 latencies, will their drop to, say 7-7-7-18, and can the cheap MSI motherboard go along with that?

Actually your CPU?MB will only support dual channel memory configuration. You can still use the 4 sticks in the kit that you have comming. There is no such thing as dual,triple, quad memory . It is a function of the MB and how it handle the memory. Even though you bought A "QUAD KIT" it will register as dual on your MB.

Is it so, that as my motherboard G41m-P28 has a 1066 Mhz FSB, DDR will run at that speed, half of the 2000 Mhz

Yes! Your CPU only supports a max frequency of 1066mhz. Anything above that is going to require overclocking. Some can run at 1600mhz with some work tweaking, but 2000mhz is not going to happen with your set up. But, you cant just set the frequency to 2133 or even 2000 without some serious overclocking. You machine will just lock up and refuse to boot. I would look for some overclocking guides for your CPU. Google is your best friend!

Don't think so specifically. I know G41m-P28 can't do 2000, but when I get new motherboard, this purchase will come to its full potential. I am not a noob and I have a long term strategy. But CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 will only work at triple channel, because of what you say, it has only three DIMM modules. It is better than usual, because other three DIMM set-ups can only run at dual mode. But it wasn't quad as I would have hoped for. There are such things are triple and quad channel memory, because as I read, 52 Mb/s is the Quad channel transfer rate, that is four times that of single channel speed. Could I run Triple channel Dominator GT in Quad mode, if I installed six DIMMS? Was I correct, that given a new motherboard, a 2000 Mhz memory will run at 2000 Mhz when BIOS is set to run it at 2133? Or will it become unstable, and thus only 1866 Mhz is plausible on a motherboard that has only 1866 and 2133 options for the memory, thus losing 144 Mhz in frequency? And can G41m-P28 deal with lower than 7-7-7-18 latencies, as will be the case when CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 is automatically underclocked to 1066 Mhz? Who knows the answer?

Alas, is Dominator GT 1866 9-9-9-24 faster than Vengeance 1866 9-9-9-24?

It is better than usual, because other three DIMM set-ups can only run at dual mode.
When you see a memory pack marked as dual / triple / quad channel memory, it's just a marketing thing.

In otherwords, remove 1 stick and you'll be able to run the memory in dual channel. If you use 3 sticks your rig will probably default to running them in either a crappy hybrid mode, or single channel mode.

Could I run Triple channel Dominator GT in Quad mode, if I installed six DIMMS?
No.

Dual channel = 2 / 4 sticks

triple channel = 3 / 6 sticks

quad channel = 4 / 8 sticks

Was I correct, that given a new motherboard, a 2000 Mhz memory will run at 2000 Mhz when BIOS is set to run it at 2133?
2000 MHz is a big OC for a CPU anyway, but if you attempt to OC the memory to 2133 MHz, yes, stability can be an issue.

And can G41m-P28 deal with lower than 7-7-7-18 latencies, as will be the case when CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 is automatically underclocked to 1066 Mhz?
the memory isn't rated to those timings, so it may or may not work / may or may not be stable.

Dominator GT 1866 9-9-9-24 faster than Vengeance 1866 9-9-9-24?
Same speed = same speed.

Wired, thank you for the information, mister. When you say 'my rig', you mean my cheap accessory G41m-P28 motherboard, right? When I put the three 2000 Mhz DIMMS to a new LGA 2011 motherboard, they will not default to a crappy hybrid mode, and maintain a triple channel mode, not a dual channel mode, right? If I buy a second set of this Dominator GT x 3 and install just four DIMMS, will I then get Quad channel mode, or just the Triple channel mode, as marketed by Corsair? Does all that depend on what, the memory controller integrated in the Intel CPU? What is the requirement of Corsair Quad Channel memory? Or is just so that they all run at single channel mode? What is the count of the memory channels? Clarify please.

When you say 'my rig', you mean my cheap accessory G41m-P28 motherboard, right?
Your current rig, correct.

When I put the three 2000 Mhz DIMMS to a new LGA 2011 motherboard, they will not default to a crappy hybrid mode, and maintain a triple channel mode, not a dual channel mode, right?
I believe so: DDR3 Memory Performance Analysis on Intel X79

If I buy a second set of this Dominator GT x 3 and install just four DIMMS, will I then get Quad channel mode, or just the Triple channel mode, as marketed by Corsair? Does all that depend on what, the memory controller integrated in the Intel CPU?
Never mix memory kits, as there's no way to guarantee compatibility.

Now let's assume you had X number of sticks that were all guaranteed to be compatible with each other. The channel mode it is run in will solely depend on which slots you put it in (which can vary between motherboard manufacturers) and the CPU's onboard memory controller. In otherwords, you can put the same LGA2011 (quad channel) CPU into different motherboards and put 4 matching sticks into the first 4 slots, and depending on the motherboard design, it may run it as single, dual, or quad channel.

What is the count of the memory channels? Clarify please.
Clarify the question please.

Archived