Corsair Community

My 100 Experience

G50EED

I built a new LGA 2011 X79 system on Friday with the H100, Carbide 500r, and ASUS Rampage IV Formula. Everything is working wonderfully, and quietly. My unit is from lot #11359483.

First off, in trying to mount the H100 I had the issue where the mounting holes would not align with the motherboard’s in the correct position (hoses oriented to the rear). A quarter turn clockwise (hoses oriented down) worked. After putting the system together I plugged the PC into a wall socket to ensure everything powered on and appeared to be working before moving the unit to its permanent location in a cabinet in our office. The H100 was very noisy emitting a troublesome clicking sound. Putting the case on its side made the sound go away. Tapping on the controller only made things much worse causing the unit to start emitting a high-pitched squeal in addition to the clicking sound. With tears in my eyes and sadness in my heart I explained to my wife that we would have to endure the noise for a week or so to see if the unit calmed down on its own before changing to an air cooler.

So, I moved the unit into its permanent location in our office and plugged the PC into the power strip where all of my other components (printers, monitor, speakers, router, etc.) plugged into. Much to my amazement, and relief, the PC was completely silent! The only thing that differed from my earlier experience was that the PC was plugged into the power strip and not into the wall outlet directly. As far as I know there is nothing special about the power strip. It’s not a surge protector or backup battery, just six 3-prong outlets in a strip with a master power switch.

This seems similar in concept to the other post from another user having success plugging their H100 into a fan controller then turning the controller knob to maximum.

I built a new LGA 2011 X79 system on Friday with the H100, Carbide 500r, and ASUS Rampage IV Formula. Everything is working wonderfully, and quietly. My unit is from lot #11359483...

This seems similar in concept to the other post from another user having success plugging their H100 into a fan controller then turning the controller knob to maximum.

I'm glad the noise issue seems to have worked itself out, but I don't understand your last comment. Using a fan controller with the H100 just slightly lowered the voltage supplied to it, even when set to maximum, which is how every controller I've used actually works. Connecting your PC to the outlet strip (hopefully) did not lower the voltage to the PC, and if it did would not change the 12V output of the PC's power supply, unless it caused a major voltage drop, which should not happen. It sounds like your H100's pump just broke in, or took a while to get all the air bubbles out of the system.

I understand; it's like that scene from XMas Vacation where Eddie says his daughter fell down a well and her eyes went crossed; later she gets kicked in the head by a mule and they go back to being straight (or vice versa). The unit hadn't run for even a full two minutes before I unplugged it and moved the PC to its permanent location so I didn't think that would be enough time for it to "break in" but I understand your response. Yes, I am just glad it's working as intended.

Archived