Corsair Community

IC7-MAX3 with 2 GB RAM (2x TwinX1024) but what kind and at what spd?

Dominion

Well I have a little problem, I just returned a ASUS A8V + Athlon 3500+ and 2x (Dual 512) MB Kingston HyperX mem to the store because I was unable to load WinXP when i used all 2 GB of mem, no matter what spd I used. Whatever this was a mem,CPU or mobo problem I was never able to find out but Memtest+ reported a lot of errors when i use 2 GB, when i used 1 GB everything worked fine. and i tested all modules. I have asked to get a P4 3.2 Ghz + Abit IC7-MAX3 in return. and to avoid a similar problem with the new rig, I wanted to ask here, what kind of Corsair Memory would be a good choise if i want 2 GB in the rig, and at what spd should they be abel to handle. I lost my trust to kingston, when they did not answar any of my e-mails or calls. -Dominion.

• Corsair Employees
If you want to run with 2.0 Gig of memory I would suggest you use Twinx2048-3200 with either MB! There would be more loading with more modules and if you run the system with 4 modules it will not run as well then it will with just 2!

So from a performance view 1 Gig would be a better choise? The computer is going to beused mainly for programming (Assambler and C++) and for gaming (FarCry,Doom3,HL2). I have been reading alot of post here in the forum, and it seems pretty hard to get a reliable system with 4 memory modules why is that? why is it so taxing on the system. Could it be the reason behind my problems with the oter system?? -Dominion

If I understand this presentation, the only way to get a stable system with 2 Gb+ Memory is to use reg. mem correct? But how is it then that you can get a stable system 2 gb non reg. mem. if you just lossen up on the timing 3-3-3 ? if it is the adressing signals that are the problem, then it should not matter.

• Corsair Employees
NO not exactly! The MB would need to support registered memory in order to use it! And the reason most Server MB's will only use Registered memory! There is more loading with more modules, 20 loads per module to be exact! So as you add more modules you will need to relax the timings! I would suggest you set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then test the system with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url]. If you still get errors please test the modules one at a time at their default timings and make sure one is not failing!

Archived