Corsair Community

Is using a sata 3 card better than using the motherboard sata 3 port

Jamestee

As the title suggest,

Would using a sata 3 pci card on my X58 board be better than using the motherboard sata 3 port? Or are they still both limited to the marvel firmware that’s restricting the full bandwidth of my 120G ssd at around 250 write and 380 read, would like to get around 500 for both.

If I realised I could of gotten a pci sata 3 card I wouldn’t off paid for a new mobo, then I wouldn’t of upgraded my ram and graphic card and save a bit off money, Don’t tell the wife lol

I’ve been giving a little advice before and I just want to comfier either way.

Thank you

The short answer is no. Also, all "mother board SATA 3 ports" are not the same at all. I know you are referring to the marvelous Marvell chipset, but the Intel and AMD SATA 6Gb/s chipsets are not in the same class, thank goodness.

If a SATA 6Gb/s PCI-E x2 or x4 (not PCI) card that costs at least twice what your mother board does is what you have in mind, then it should be equal or better than a native SATA 6Gb/s chipset. You must know what you are buying to insure it will work as you expect it to.

The Marvell chipset's firmware is not the problem, it's how the Marvell chip is designed and implemented on boards. It's attached to one PCI-E lane, which has a maximum speed of 5Gb/s, yes FIVE Gb/s. Since SATA III is 6Gb/s, you can see the problem right there. Cheap PCI-E cards use the same Marvell chip, over one PCI-E lane, so the result is the same.

Frankly, the only time a SSD will actually perform at "500 MB/s" is if it is reading or writing a huge, several hundred Megabyte to Gigabyte+ sized file. Any drives speed cannot be reduced to one or two numbers that define it's speed at all times. People like one or two numbers because it's simple, but the reality is much more complex.

Archived