Corsair Community

650D vs 500R w/ AX750 PSU - Can't decide?

Nexxsys

I thought I would turn to the source for some advice and recommendations.

I am building a new gaming PC but I am having a hard time deciding what case to go with.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro (Gen 3)

GPU Powercolor 6950HD 2GB

PSU AX750, or AX650 (depends on the price at the time of purchase)

Here are my concerns / questions:

1. 500R is my initial choice, but I am concerned with a number of reviews stating the the AX650 and AX750 EPS/CPU power cable is too short. Is that true?

2. Is there enough room for the GPU @ 275 mm to fit in the space (without removing the HD cage)? I may go Crossfire.

3. Is there still the need to pass the cables through the 650D Case for the USB 3.0 Header to plug into rear USB 3.0 connections on the board?

I like the look of the 650D, the grommet placement, but the 500R would be preferred if the cable length on the full modular PSU's are long enough?

Thanks for any advice / assistance.

1. 500R is my initial choice, but I am concerned with a number of reviews stating the the AX650 and AX750 EPS/CPU power cable is too short. Is that true?

Here is a table with cable lenghts. I'm using the HX650 in the 500R and the 8 pin EPS cable fits perfectly.

2. Is there enough room for the GPU @ 275 mm to fit in the space (without removing the HD cage)? I may go Crossfire.

I measured 310 mm with HDD cage, should work as well.

You can always get a different brand of PSU....

thats a joke right ? Corsair psu ftw ! :D:

if the 650d is the same as my 600t (just got it yesterday) u run the 3.0 cable behind board through same hole cpu power comes through down behind rear fan, then there is a pci shield with a hole for the usb to go through. U see about 1 inch of it, not even noticeable.

Thanks I think this what I will ultimately go with:

Build Components

Case Corsair 500R

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO (Gen 3)

CPU Intel i7 2600K LGA1155

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo

RAM 2 x Corsair Vengance LP 8 GB (2X4GB) DDR 1600 CL9 Dual Channel

Drive ******** M4 SSD Sata 3 128 GB

video 1 x XFX 6950 2 GB

PSU XFX 750W PRO Semi-Modular

Archived