Corsair Community

Constant Blue Screens After Installing Corsair ForceGT 120GB

Rendition

First of all I felt the title made it sound a bit like I'm blaming Corsair for this. But I am almost positive this must be something I have done wrong.

I recently bought two 120GB ForceGT SSD's I got one for myself and another for my friends laptop because he wanted it to be really fast.. Which it is but he tells me it is Blue Screening at least once a day. I also installed one to my Desktop and it runs fine I have not had any Blue Screens since installing or any other problem to mention.

I don't have a whole lot of information right now because he is sending it to me in Texts but I will update this post with everything he sends me as soon as I can.

What I do know:

The laptop is roughly 3 years old and does not support SATA3 which I checked would not be a problem.

When I installed the drive I also installed Windows 7 (32 bit) so it was a clean install and would have enabled TRIM. He didn't have anything but work documents to copy over so all I downloaded was a few applications (Like: Firefox, Adobe, WinRAR ..Basics ect..) and a driver for his printer.

After recovering from Sleep mode it often freezes and requires a restart or blue screens.

The crashes did not start happening until I installed the SSD for him. I did not update the firmware because I read it can be risky and is best not to do so unless you have a problem and at the time I thought there was no problem..

This is the STOP Error code he gave me: 0X000000030X86BA40300X86BA419C0X82A19D60

I know information is slim but I was hoping maybe with the stop error and the little information I have provided there are some possible causes and a fix?

Thanks for any help!

Also this is something pretty important I forgot to mention. I couldn't figure out how to change the SATA mode to AHCI in his BIOS but I could in mine could this be the reason?

No the firmware has not yet been updated. I will try find a PDF of the manual as I'm sure he wouldn't have kept his and yes I believe so I received it in a text so I assumed it was all one code.

How important is the AHCI mode? Is is likely the cause of the Blue Screens?

Thanks again.

I will not be able to update his firmware for at least three weeks and same goes for the picture of the BSOD because he is on holiday so I will keep this post in my tabs and when I get the desired information I will update it and hopefully you'll see it around.

Until then Seasons Greetings and thanks for all your help so far!

If the laptop has an old Intel chipset (for example Mobile Intel® GS45 Express Chipset) there are small changes to solve the BSOD.

If firmware update didn't solve the problem you should return ssd back. Only stable ssd which work well on old mobile chipsets are Intel ssds.

Happy Holidays!

Definetly last:

To make Windows 7 operate in AHCI-mode it is necessary to clean install it from scratch while this mode is enabled in BIOS.

Switching SATA operating mode with the same windows, makes it loop the boot-process stopping it with BSOD (Bluescreen of death: Inaccessible Boot Device).

TRIM however requires AHCI-mode and will not work in RAID-mode. Because of some former HDD-users setup RAID-mode, which does not require a real configured RAID to work properly, they have to reinstall windows.

Be sure to have latest SATA-controller driver installed.

Check the alignment of the disk.

Check if Windows properly disabled defragmentation, prefetch and superfetch.

If everything is allright and the problem persists, you can try to switch to the Microsoft AHCI driver and/or upgrade the firmware, or you can send the disk in to Corsair.

Archived