Corsair Community

H60 not regulating fan speeds

Fathercaine

Been having trouble with the chassis fan that came with the H60 watercooling kit, it always operates at 1900+ rpm, never slows down, no matter how cold the processor is.

I've tried editing it with all kinds of settings in BIOS, using the standard, turbo, silent and manual settings. In the manual settings I've tried lowering and raising the limits of the fan activity, but it simply does not change anything, fan speed remains the same no matter what I do.

The pump itself is correctly running at 4000+ rpm.

The fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header on my Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard, which was fully able to regulate the speed of my old stock fan, so I doubt there's anything wrong with the controller. The pump is plugged into the CPU_OPT1 fan header, and seems to be working perfectly as mentioned. The case I am using is an ######## Mini-Tower, with a 140 mm fan operating above the intake for the H60, immediately blowing the air out again. The fan speeds probably do not match, since the fans that came with the case only have 3 settings, min/med/max, and aren't controlled by the motherboard(done by switch).

Attached a screenshot of the ASUS AI Suite II:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac344/Takomuhra/Fantest.jpg

Test was done when the CPU temp was at 24/25 degrees.

EDIT: I contacted Tech Support but haven't heard anything back since Friday.

Something is not right there, that screen shows the fan speed the same regardless of percentage. On a similar board/software I have, you must calibrate the fan, which seems to be done with the "Test" button on yours. It looks like you did that, but just checking.

If you have another 120mm PWM fan, you could try that one and see if it functions correctly. Both of my H60's fans work fine on the CPU Fan PWM header, so maybe you have a bad one.

The mis-match of the CPU and case fan speed is not a big deal, or the cause of your issue.

I just wanted to let the OP know that I got a new H60 today and it seems it's not a true 4 pin as my Asus Maximus Gene-z won't control the fan on the CPU header. I know the header works correctly as my stock intel fan will throttle correctly. I have emailed corsair tech support as well.

jmcgeejr, That is strange the H60's fan does not seem to work with your board too. I use a H60 on an ASUS SaberTooth P67 mother board, with the fan on the four pin PWM CPU Fan header, and it works fine. I've used other PWM fans on that header, and they all worked fine.

I use the ASUS fan control software, which is part of the AI Suite II software package. The UEFI on my board provides some of the settings available in AI Suite II for fan control, but the software can override that. Do you need to enable the PWM fan control in the UEFI? The AI Suite II GUI for my board is different then the picture posted by the OP, so the fan control software may be different than yours. They do appear very similar.

I have two H60's, both on ASUS boards, and the PWM fan works fine. I've used many PWM fans, and have never had one malfunction, but that is a possibility.

As RAM GUY mentioned, at least on the Crosshair V Formula board, there is a BIOS "Fan Type" setting for the CPU Fan, either PWM or DC. That must be set to PWM for those fans to work correctly, including the H60's.

Some stock AMD CPU coolers have three pin fans, which is why this setting is needed on AMD boards. Those fans are run in "DC" mode. One of the other H60 users posting in this thread has an AMD board, but the other is an Intel board... I think.

Tw33ter, Yes, Intel boards usually don't have the two settings for the CPU_FAN header.

Your board has two fan headers labeled "CPU..." at the top, right next to each other. The header labeled "CPU_OPT", if you are using that one, won't regulate a PWM fan. My board has a similar header, which runs PWM fans at full speed. The header to it's right, "CPU_FAN", is the correct one to use.

If that's what you use now, then it seems the fan is defective. I've never heard of or used a PWM fan whose speed control failed, but it could happen. Testing with another PWM fan is all you can do otherwise, or test the H60's fan on another board.

I would also suggest setting the CPU Q-Fan Control to Manual, set the upper limit to 100%, and either create you own fan profile with AI Suite, or choose a profile while running AI Suite. If you have a "Test" or "Calibrate" button in AI Suite on the CPU Fan configuration screen, click it and see if the fan responds.

It has two settings and has been set to PWN for about a month.

The one plugged into CPU_OPT also has 4 pins, which means it should be speed controlled, but that does not matter since the pump is plugged into it as I described earlier.

And I highly doubt the PWM control has failed, it worked fine on my stock fan.

I also tried setting it to user levels and adjusting the values both in BIOS and in the AI Suite, didn't respond at all, just remained exactly the same.

So, to sum up:

Fan plugged into CPU_FAN header(not CPU_OPT).

CPU_FAN controller is definately working.

Tried adjusting all the settings in BIOS as well as Asus AI Suite.

Tried unplugging it and all that.

Think the easiest solution here is buy a new chassis fan, and throw away the one Corsair sent with the kit.

Ok, going to try something different. Having the pump connected to CPU_OPT might be causing it, so I'm gonna try to plug the pump into one of the chassis fan controllers and setting that to max all the time, then maybe I'll be able to regulate the fan speed with the CPU_FAN controller.

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problem with what I think is the exact same hardware.

ASUSCrosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX

Corsair H60 CPU Cooler.

I connected the pump to the CPU_OPT plug and the fan to the CPU_FAN plug. The fan runs at 1900RPM continuously. I ran a test with ASUS FAN Xpert app in AI Suite and the test shows that the fan runs at 1900RPM all the way from 20% to 100% power.

Tried switching the plugs and putting the pump on CPU_FAN and the fan into CPU_OPT to regulate it that way and it doesn't make any difference. Still runs 1900RPM constantly. Going to go pickup a new fan tomorrow and will see I can get it to work any better. The Corsair fan is really really loud anyway. I wanted to go with a water cooling system specifically to reduce the noise since this is a gaming /HTPC rig that is going in my living room. I don't mind if it revs a bit while gaming, but for it to run all the time like that and be that loud is unacceptable. I have just been keeping it unplugged unless I am playing a game or somehow stressing the system for now. I am a little bit disappointed. This is the only problem I have had putting this PC together...

db, It sounds like your H60 fan is defective. It's suspicious that the OP and you both have AMD boards and have this issue, which in the past had CPU fan settings that Yellow Beard mentioned. But an Intel owner said they had the issue too, and the BIOS settings don't seem to be the issue, so that leaves the fan.

I use two H60s with the stock fans, and they've always worked fine on the CPU Fan header, using two different board's fan control software. My Corsair fans calibrate fine with the ASUS software, 20% is ~700 RPM. At idle the fans run from ~850 - 950 RPM on a custom (User) speed profile, which I have set a bit higher than the standard profiles. The fans (I use two in push-pull, with other manufactures PWM fans) are pretty quiet IMO, you can hear them with the PC close by, but are much quieter than the fans at full speed.

PWM fans are usually harder to find at brick and mortar stores. The other PWM fans I've used on H60s are the CM Blade Master, Scythe Slip Stream 12M-P and 12H-P, and Nexus PWM. All of those are compatible, have almost identical top speeds, don't use more power than the board can provide, and work at least as well as the stock fan, or a bit less, and are not more noisy.

I'm surprised I did not see this post.. I have had a similar issue.. My fan is at 2000 + all the time.. Whether the cpu is at 19c or 30c.. I managed to set it to 60% in the bios n trottle to 100% once the cpu hits 40c, but I shudnt have to do that as the fan is supposed to be smart enough to do that and drop below 60% when the cpu is at 19c

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. I recently set up a new rig involved a Corsair H60 and the Maximus IV Gene-Z Mobo. I am running into the same problem as the OP in that I cannot control my H60 fan using the BIOS settings or the Fan Xpert program that came with my motherboard.

When I test the fan using the Asus software it says the fan is at 1900 RPM constantly regardless of whether its set to 20%, 30%, etc.

I'm just wondering for the OP, did you ever manage to resolve your issue? If so, how? Because I am lost right now and I'm not sure whether to blame my motherboard for being unable to regulate the fan speed or if there's just something wrong with the fan itself.

I've ordered a 120 mm fan from another company so once it arrives I'll test that out with the mobo and see if it can be controlled. But if anyone has any additional advice regarding this, that would be amazing as I only have 2 more days to return this stuff to the retailer before it becomes a warranty issue.

One other question I had: since I'm using the 600T case with a built in fan controller, is it possible to plug the pump itself into the CPU fan header and then plug the CPU fan into the fan controller instead? I'm assuming that would allow me to regulate the speed but the instructions for the H60 specifically say to plug the CPU fan into the CPU fan header and to plug the pump into a chassis fan plug. If anyone who's had a similar issue can lend me their input that'd be amazing.

Thanks

There is no reason to plug the pump into the CPU FAN header. The pump requires a constant 12v. (And in fact if the fan speed is not set on full, if you have a fan on that header, the pump won't operate properly.)

When I used an H60 w/ a P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 board, I plugged the pump into a PWR FAN header and the fan into the CPU FAN header. The fan was regulated just fine by the Asus Suite II software.

I later changed to different fans in push-pull with one in the CPU FAN header and the other in the CPU FAN OPT header, and they were BOTH regulated simultaneously by the Asus Suite II software via the CPU FAN settings.

I can't imagine that the fan regulation software or hardware would be much different for your board.

Hey thanks for the response.

Currently I have the pump plugged into a chassis fan header and the bios shows it's stable at 4300 RPM which I understand is normal.

However, my problem is that the H60 fan (which is plugged into the CPU fan header) does NOT regulate at all. I am using the Asus Suite II fan Xpert utility and have set the CPU fan to silent mode, yet it still won't auto regulate. My CPU temp is 22C right now yet the fan won't go below 1900 RPM.

So it sounds to me like either there's a problem with the mobo or the fan itself. Hence why I'm wondering if the OP ever managed to resolve his issue.

Hey thanks for the response.

Currently I have the pump plugged into a chassis fan header and the bios shows it's stable at 4300 RPM which I understand is normal.

However, my problem is that the H60 fan (which is plugged into the CPU fan header) does NOT regulate at all. I am using the Asus Suite II fan Xpert utility and have set the CPU fan to silent mode, yet it still won't auto regulate. My CPU temp is 22C right now yet the fan won't go below 1900 RPM.

So it sounds to me like either there's a problem with the mobo or the fan itself. Hence why I'm wondering if the OP ever managed to resolve his issue.

I would agree that is sounds like that.

The thread is old, so the OP may not be looking. Best way to determine what the problem is, would be to plug a known-good PWM fan into the same header on your MB, and/or plug your fan into a known-good header on another MB.

Followup: okay so I did what sickfiddydee suggested. I plugged the H60's fan into a chassis fan header and plugged a Noctua 4-pin fan (the F14) into the CPU fan header and the mobo had no problem adjusting the speed of that fan.

Keeping the same settings I then switched the two fans so that the H60 fan was plugged into its original header: the H60 fan ran at 1900 RPM no matter what and would not adjust itself.

So I guess I received a (slightly) defective fan. Glad there's nothing wrong with my mobo at least! Anyway I filled out the customer service form on the website to see if they would be kind enough to replace my fan, I'll follow up again once somebody from Corsair gets back to me.

I've purchased countless Corsair products in the past (H50, HX1000, AX850, TX650, 800D, 600T, just bought a K90 last week, etc.) and this is the first issue I've ever had. Time to finally see what that legendary customer service is all about :)

Getting kinda nervous now... when I filled out the RMA form it said a Corsair rep would get back to me within a maximum of 24 hours. It's been 27 hours now. Hopefully someone gets back to me soon.

Don't worry. I think they're just a little backed-up after the weekend.

They just got back to me today about an RMA request I sent at the end of last week... and apologized for the delay.

Archived