Corsair Community

Force 3 180 GB

STR3T

Just bought and plugged in a 180GB3-BK. This currently alongside a 1TB SG and running Windows7 64-bit.

When I have a little more time, I'll install Windows on the SSD and migrate everything over (and once I find all my software install discs and keys, etc).

But for now, within Disk Mgmnt, I can see the drive and unallocated space (167.68GB). Assume I should create a New Simply Volume, assign all the space possible (don't really need any partitions)...but,

1. what Allocation Unit size should I use? Just use default as normal?

2. Assume should choose to Quick Format here as well...?

My original HD is still running under IDE vs. AHCI.

3. Can I just run the autmoted script posted by Yellowbeard here to convert to AHCI? Or will that create problems w/ my current spinning platter HD?

Ok have Win7 installed on the SSD. Ran the AHCI script posted here and reset IDE to ACHI within BIOS.

Running EX58 UD3R board w/ 6GB RAM and Core i7 940.

ATTO screen looks pretty slow and caps out at around the 128mb size (not faster w/ larger size files).

Also a lot of the reads are slower than the writes which also looks out of line. So something seems amiss.

Firmware is up to date at 1.3.3.

Windows Exp Index did move up from 5.9 to under the HDD to 7.8 w/ the SSD.

Any suggestions?

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/STR3T/NewinstallCorsair180GBForce3.png

ATTO benchmark looks fine for Intel SATA2 connection. You mainboard does not support SATA3 controller, so you won't see speeds above ~280 MB/s. You would need either a PCIe SATA3 RAID card (LSI, Intel) or a new mainboard (P67/Z68/X79) with native Intel SATA3 controller to gain advertised speeds.

Thanks for getting back on this...and oh dang me...I'm out of the loop on just how fast the specs have gotten.

I guess I was thinking how SATA2 was too much bandwidth for HDD's and just not up to knowing these SSD's could fill a SATA2 pipe.

So I could've saved some $$$ I guess by opting for an earlier gen SSD on the SATA2 spec? Ahh well, it's still pretty fast vs. the HDD.

And you don't think there's an issue in the read vs. write speeds on the smaller MB runs?

madnisman,

Just saw this review of a ******** SATA2 card being run on a SATA3 board and it's ATTO output. Actually, looks very familiar to mine above, so guess those slower Reads on the smaller runs aren't out of whack.

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/********-ultra-sata-ii-240gb-ssd-review-test-protocol-and-initial-testing/

Althought their CrystalDisk Read/Writes are a bit different than mine.

They showed 227 vs my191 Sequential Read and 121 vs. my 191 Write. The "random" on the right side. I have not run the 0Fill yet.

You will find here some benchmarks posted by other users, this might give you an impression how different setups can perform.

So I could've saved some $$$ I guess by opting for an earlier gen SSD on the SATA2 spec? Ahh well, it's still pretty fast vs. the HDD.

Maybe you could have saved some money, but now you are having a reason to upgrade your rig :D:

Althought their CrystalDisk Read/Writes are a bit different than mine.

They showed 227 vs my191 Sequential Read and 121 vs. my 191 Write. The "random" on the right side. I have not run the 0Fill yet.

Generally, CrystalDiskMark (and AS SSD) uses incompressible data for benchmark, while ATTO uses compressible data. The reviewed SSD uses a different controller and is tested in a different setup, that may explain the differences to your results.

Maybe you could have saved some money, but now you are having a reason to upgrade your rig :D:

Generally, CrystalDiskMark (and AS SSD) uses incompressible data for benchmark, while ATTO uses compressible data. The reviewed SSD uses a different controller and is tested in a different setup, that may explain the differences to your results.

Yeah, nothing like upgrading...thought that's what I was doing! I'm good w/ the CPU and GPU perf on this rig, just wanted to see what all the snappiness hubbub on SSD's was all about.

So real world "feel" if I upgraded and moved these speeds form 260-280 to 450-550MB/Sec...?

1. Boot speeds would nearly double or not?

2. Game load times double? Things load pretty dang fast as it is now. Skyrim, can't even read all the notes between loading to a different area, etc. usually.

Disc access at this point is "fast"...in other words, I don't think it can feel much faster. Specifically talking about searching around the folders within explorer. Obviously on spin up time or pausing...nice stuff here.

But I'm not noticing a huge difference on the Skyrim level loads vs. the HDD times, and that's where I was expecting a bit more "wow" factor.

I don't think you would feel it in real world, only with benchmarking or when you move large amounts of data from or to your SSD. Have you measured your boot time? I have something around 20 sec. (from end of POST until desktop), saw others users reporting a boot time of 13-14 sec., and loading programs at startup is pretty fast. But I don't think you will double up the boot speed when you change from SATA2 to SATA3. You can stick to your current system, and if you feel the need for upgrading in the future, you will be happy that you don't need to buy a new SSD. And I don't think that you will see SATA4 coming up withing the next 18 months.

I haven't tested Skyrim installed to a HDD, but comparing to other Bethesda RPGs, the loading time is very impressive.

Sounds good and thanks again for all the assist here, mad.

Truly appreciated as I was up late last night digging around and trying things out to get my speeds up to some of the other #'s I was seeing. Just didn't figure it being the SATA2 vs 3. I was happy to see WEI up over the 5.9 of the HDD.

Boot time is faster but realize my old HDD is booting on a nearly 2yr old system w/ plenty of things loading at Startup and otherwise probably fairly cluttered vs. this fresh install on the SSD. So really tough to say for sure the exact difference.

I couldn't clone this SDD off the old HDD as I had well over 260GB of data...so I had to go fresh install on the SSD.

And yeah, Skyrim does load plenty fast. I'm sure I'll pull up some other games soon and give them a go, but many of those differences will be off recollection. Other than TF2 the past couple years, lately it's been all Skyrim for me. Good stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

My mobo, an EX58A-UD3R does have 2 x SATA 6GB/s ports. Thanks for your help, mad. Correct port and drivers now showing a bit better results :biggrin:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/STR3T/NewinstallCorsair180GBForce3_SATA3.png

• 2 months later...

Well I was happy w/ my R/W speeds after moving to the 6GB port...until I saw this review and their ATTO results w/the same 180GB SSD:

http://www.custompcreview.com/2012/01/11/corsair-force-3-180gb-review/4/

Any thoughts on how I should look at correcting what's ailing my speeds? He indicates his SSD has been in use for some time...as mine has at this point, but my test was done pretty close to a fresh install...and I'm getting damn near the same results today.

Looks like I've got only 55% of potential Write speeds going and 75% of Read. Got me bummed out again! :mad:

For some reason, capping out at 284 on Read and 41.6 on Writes.

I see Intel or Giga for the Win 7 driver choices (SATA RAID?): http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3265&dl=1#driver

But they're also for installing prior to Windows install (F6 during setup) which I did not do. Any chance that's what's slowing me down (don't wanna reinstall unless I've got to!).

Where in Device Mgr should I be looking for the SATA drive?

Archived