Corsair Community

Possible PSU Failure

osek1994

Hello everyone, I have a problem.

Not too long ago I bought a new case and PSU from corsair. I had an issue with the case and made a topic about that but that has been resolved, and today I experienced some serious system instability. My PC has powered off, made a brief crackling noise(almost like a beep), and wouldn't turn back on unless I switched off the PSU and then switched it back on. Even then, it would only run for a few seconds or so and die. If I waited a while and turned it on then it would run for longer, about ten minutes, but still eventually die.

I tried unplugging hardware one by one and I had the same results. When it does work, everything is normal, I don't experience any crashes or slowdowns. As of right now I have unplugged and replugged all cables and cards, and so far it has been running for almost an hour. I don't know how long it will continue running and this is probably an indication of a serious problem. The thing is, I have no idea what it could be. The chance of overheating is very slim. When it first powered off, the system was pretty much idle and my temperatures are usually around 25 Celsius for the CPU and 50 C for the GPU.

My PSU is the Corsair TX 950 Watt and its only a few months old. Inside the case there is no smell or trace of burned components. Also, since the day I got the PSU it would from time to time make a high pitched chirping noise that would last for only a brief time, and it wasn't related to power consumption because it would happen at both idle and full load. I even hear it sometimes when the PC is off, like I did today, but that normally rarely happens. One last thing, shortly before I experienced the problem today there was an ATI graphics driver update, if that could be a possible cause.

My system specs are:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

MB - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3

GPU - ATI Radeon HD 5970

RAM - ******** 2GB DDR III SDRAM (2 sticks)

HD - SATA III 1 TB

Should I seek a replacement PSU or could it be something else?

Archived