Corsair Community

SSD Issues

pseguin

Ever since I've been using SSD's for boot drives I've had issues with BSOD's, freezing, and drive not being recognized until I turn off computer. I recently updated the firmware on both my Corsair Force GT and my Kingston Hyper X. I run them in RAID0 on a Marvel 6g controller. Lately, I've been having the random lockups and BSOD's again. Upon rebooting, I hit ctrl-m to bring up my RAID utility and it would show the RAID offline with the Corsair showing up and the Kingston not. I have to shut off the computer and turn it back on in order for the Kingston to show up. I'm am not sure if this is a Kingston only issue or a general SSD issue. Any thoughts? Should I buy another Corsair so I have 2x the same exact drive?

RAID arrays ALWAYS require the same drives. You aren't supposed to mix and match. I'm amazed you ever got it to work in the first place.

You need two or more identical drives. Same brand, same size etc. etc.

Best thing is to buy two at the same time from the same source so you ( hopefully )get two from the same lot etc. That's about as close as you can get :)

Buy two new SSD drives and use your present Corsair for more storage.

Unless you can get another identical Corsair. But two new matched ones would be most desirable.

Oh really? I thought as long as they were identical in size and interface,

I should be fine. If I buy another Corsair, can I replace my Kingston and

rebuild the array without losing data. I dread having to re

install Windows, all the updates, and all my software again.

In addition to not mixing drives in a RAID array, the Marvell controllers in general are bugged. I would not suggest using them and especially for RAID arrays.

Also, it's impossible to provide proper assistance without your system specifications in your dropdown menu as requested when you registered.

It's impossible to provide proper assistance without your system specifications in your dropdown menu as requested when you registered.

Well wouldn't I take a big performance hit plugging them into the onboard sataii controller ?

Ever since I've been using SSD's for boot drives I've had issues with BSOD's, freezing, and drive not being recognized until I turn off computer. I recently updated the firmware on both my Corsair Force GT and my ******** Hyper X. I run them in RAID0 on a Marvel 6g controller. Lately, I've been having the random lockups and BSOD's again.

On paper, yes an Intel SATA 2/3Gb controller will be slower but, you should not have the same issues that plague the Marvell controllers.

Well wouldn't I take a big performance hit plugging them into the onboard sataii controller ?

Not that big, Marvell 6G controller shows poor performance [~250 MB/s write; ~400 MB/s read). For better stability I would recommend using the native ports. If you want to reach maximum speed, you have two options: you can buy a new mobo (and CPU) with native AMD/Intel SATA 3 controller, or you can buy a RAID controller card (LSI, Intel).

Again, please add your system specs in User CP. Thanks!

I'll update my specs when I get home. You're confusing me with the term "native though". All the controllers I am using are on the motherboard. It has 2 SATAIII and 6 (I think) SATAII controllers. I thought the whole point of the Corsair Force GT was the fast SATAIII speed.

Until I get home, what I am running is an Asus Rampage III Black Edition X58 motherboard with a Core i7 Extreme. All the SATA controllers are on board.

"Native" means it's a function of the chipset on the motherboard. The Marvell controller is added on or "3rd party" controller added to the motherboard to supplement the chipset. Your X58 board is an older board and is not capable of operating a Force GT at its rated specifications.

The Force GT is a SATA3/6Gb drive as you noted. However, as I have already pointed out, the Marvell controllers are bugged and you will not likely be able to get stable performance. If you want to gamble with the Marvell controller it will likely be somewhat faster in some cases than the Intel SATA2/3Gb controller. But, as you have pointed out, it is unstable so speed doesn't matter when you are unstable. I'll take stability over speed any day.

To get the full benefit of a SATA 3/6Gb SSD, you will need to use a better SATA controller such as the most recent AMD 990FX chipset, the Intel P67/Z68, or Intel X79.

Blah, my board is "older"? I thought I was buying new technology when I put together this rig. Time to rethink my strategy I guess. I love AMD boards but I don't think any AMD processors are going to give me the performance of an i7 Extreme. In fact, I have a 990FX board at home with a new AMD FX processor and I decided not to use it when I started reading all the negative reviews and seeing the Intel offerings trouncing it. One thing I like about the AMD is that ALL the controllers are 6g.

Edit: If I stay with the Z58 board, can I put all of my drive on the SATAII ports and set up one RAID0 with my 2 SSD's and another RAID0 with my 2 HD's?

Hmm, now I'm not sure it's worth tearing apart my rig or not. You're saying that I should definitely put my SSD's on the SATA II I guess though huh? I'm getting my 2nd Corsair GT in today and will replace my Kingston in the array. I don't suppose there's any way to do that without losing all my data and having to reinstall Windows and everything again?

Also, is there a 3rd party PCIe card I can buy which has stable SATA 6g support?

OK I received my new Force GT drive today. Will I want to plug it into an SATA 3g controller slot and run the firmware update before I do anything? Also, can my current array be "mirrored" somehow so I can just replace the Kingston SSD with the Corsair and not have to re install Windows and everything?

I'm still on the fence if I'm better off with the X58 and Gulftown or my 990FX and AMD 8150 combo which has all SATA 6g connectors.

• 4 weeks later...
Not that big, Marvell 6G controller shows poor performance [~250 MB/s write; ~400 MB/s read). For better stability I would recommend using the native ports. If you want to reach maximum speed, you have two options: you can buy a new mobo (and CPU) with native AMD/Intel SATA 3 controller, or you can buy a RAID controller card (LSI, Intel). Again, please add your system specs in User CP. Thanks!

Do you think you could point me in the direction of one of these controller cards that will work with the X58 platform ( Asus Rampage 111 Extreme)?

I tahnk you for any help you can give me, I would buy either one an Intel or an LSI.

OK I received my new Force GT drive today. Will I want to plug it into an SATA 3g controller slot and run the firmware update before I do anything? Also, can my current array be "mirrored" somehow so I can just replace the ******** SSD with the Corsair and not have to re install Windows and everything?

I'm still on the fence if I'm better off with the X58 and Gulftown or my 990FX and AMD 8150 combo which has all SATA 6g connectors.

DO NOT attempt the firmware update on the Marvell SATA interface! You don't need to connect a SATA III drive to a SATA III interface for it to work correctly. As has been said, the Marvell interface is flaky, and using it likely won't allow your SSD to be detected. Use the Intel or AMD SATA interface, depending on what board you are using. You want dependability, not speed during a firmware update, and helping the firmware update program make it's job easier is the first priority.

Asus s3u6 for one is a cheap and moderately capable one... or what do you mean?

All I want is a controller card that will alow me to attain the speeds my Corsair Performance Pro is capable of. My motherboar is an LGA1366 Asus Rampage 111 with Marvell drivers ,91XX. They will bottleneck at 300mbs.

There has to be a Controller Card that will will alow me to dothis, I have a 980X chip and the Asus Rampage 111 board, I dont want to upgrade to a 2011 setup just to attain 500mps with my Corsair SSD. If the Asus card will alow me to do this I would really appreciate it if you could confirm this. 1 card, 1 SSD, no raid. Thanks.

All I want is a controller card that will alow me to attain the speeds my Corsair Performance Pro is capable of. My motherboar is an LGA1366 Asus Rampage 111 with Marvell drivers ,91XX. They will bottleneck at 300mbs.

There has to be a Controller Card that will will alow me to dothis, I have a 980X chip and the Asus Rampage 111 board, I dont want to upgrade to a 2011 setup just to attain 500mps with my Corsair SSD. If the Asus card will alow me to do this I would really appreciate it if you could confirm this. 1 card, 1 SSD, no raid. Thanks.

Yes, you and everyone else that has a X58 board (as I do) that wants true SATA III speed on their PC. The problem is virtually all the add on cards that don't cost more than your mother board all use the same Marvell 91xx chipset, over one PCI-E lane, and only provide 5Gb/s speed. If a cheap card existed that did work at 6Gb/s, it would be common knowledge. The ASUS card claims to do this, but I've heard zero about it, and they are not easy to find. If it was a good solution, it would be news all over the PC review sites.

But, Marvell just announced a new SATA III chipset, their 92xx series, that uses two PCI-E lanes, and will actually provide SATA III speeds. As I said, it just came out a week ago, so no one has a product using it yet.

On my X58 PC, I have three small SSDs in RAID 0 on the Intel ICH10R, and it benches very close to two SATA III SSDs on an Intel SATA III board in RAID 0. I prefer this, since all mother boards do not allow you to boot from add on cards, YMMV.

But, Marvell just announced a new SATA III chipset, their 92xx series, that uses two PCI-E lanes, and will actually provide SATA III speeds. As I said, it just came out a week ago, so no one has a product using it yet.

This is very important to me and I guess the whole Enthusiast Community, please try to keep this forum updated on this new chipset. Thankyou for your help.

The asus card uses pci-E x4 connection which is split between the marvell sata 6Gb and nec usb3. However the controller on my board is the 9120 and on my performance 3 64GB ssd it puts out about 400MB/s read. My drive can't do much better so dunno if it is limited to 5Gb(x1 pci-E).

At the very least this card delivers more bang than the native sata ports, and it is guaranteed to offer more performance due to the x4 interface than other cheapo stuff out there with only x1... In theory the x1 with pci-E 2.0 should do the trick but the no-name card I had initially didn't for some reason run as 2.0

Buying a proper raid card is the way to go I hear. No TRIM though:roll:

The asus card uses pci-E x4 connection which is split between the marvell sata 6Gb and nec usb3. However the controller on my board is the 9120 and on my performance 3 64GB ssd it puts out about 400MB/s read. My drive can't do much better so dunno if it is limited to 5Gb(x1 pci-E).

At the very least this card delivers more bang than the native sata ports, and it is guaranteed to offer more performance due to the x4 interface than other cheapo stuff out there with only x1... In theory the x1 with pci-E 2.0 should do the trick but the no-name card I had initially didn't for some reason run as 2.0

Buying a proper raid card is the way to go I hear. No TRIM though:roll:

Ok, thanks for this info. Bottom line, since this board uses the 91xx chipset, even on a PCI-E X4 slot, it makes no difference, which your results show all to well.

Marvell literally advertizes the 91xx to be implemented on a single PCI-E lane, just check their web page. AFAIK, the 91xx series cannot be used with more than one PCI-E lane, which ironically is mentioned in the article about the new 92xx series chipsets.

Consider an Intel X58 based mother board. Between the CPU and chipset, that platform has more PCI-E lanes than any 6-series chipset Sandy Bridge platform board. X58 boards that have three PCI-E X 16 lanes can use up all the PCI-E lanes, but most users don't run triple SLI or Crossfire. Certainly one more PCI-E lane could be spared for the Marvell 91xx chipset if that would increase it's performance. I would bet that more enthusiasts would prefer giving another lane to the Marvell chip than using them on three video card slots. Or they could make certain boards that only have two PCI-E X 16 lanes, with plenty to spare for a chipset to use. But that is not done, because... the Marvell 91xx chipsets can't be implemented to use more than one PCI-E lane.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine. When the Marvell 91xx Option ROM runs on boards I have, and clearly displays, "... Marvell 91xx... 5Gb/s.", when those and all other boards using these chipsets are sold as "High Speed SATA III Interface at 6Gb/s!", how should we feel? Talk about false advertising or lying to your face! Oh wait, did they throw in the magic words, "... up to...". It's still a lie if it can't be done under any circumstances.

The hardware review web sites never say anything about this either. Then SSD users come to the Corsair SSD forum and complain that their SSD is not running at SATA III speeds, and Corsair gets to deal with it. I assume this is to complicated, nit picky, or nerdy to warrant a class action lawsuit, but IMO it looks like an open and shut case.

You said it better than I ever could but you certainly got the point of how I feel across. I feel like my LGA 1366 980X is old and not functional now, I spent alot of hard earned money on this system and now just to use my fantastic Corsair SSDs I have to upgrade to LGA 2011 or buy an addon card that costs upwards of 500.00 USD. Its not right I tell you.:(:

Archived