Corsair Community

How to clear F120GB2 if SecureErase cannot open SSD

bluel

As I described in my problem thread (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=101706), my Corsair F120GB2 gets I/O errors a very short time after a fresh boot and will either BSOD if it is the boot disk, or disappear if it is not the boot disk.

This means that I am unable to update the firmware, and I am also unable to erase the disk using PartedMagic/SecureErase because there, it keeps getting SMART errors and the drive is detected as "unknown model" and is unopenable, unerasable.

The drive is only 8 months old, I want to return it. But now what am I supposed to do? I don't want to send back a drive with all my data still (briefly at a time) accessible. Is there another way to wipe the drive? Am I just out of luck and will have to take a full loss on this drive? Do I have another option besides losing my money and having to destroy the drive?

Anyone? Am I totally out of luck on this?

The drive cannot be read well enough for PartedMagic to erase the disk. Running in Ubuntu Live, the drive gets errors when trying to open and cannot be read. In Windows I can see the disk very briefly on a fresh boot but it will soon disappear (or BSOD). I'd like to RMA, but nothing I've read about will help me erase the disk...

Have you tried an USB-SATA converter? I had once similar problems (but I wanted to get the data, not destroy it ;-) ), and this solution worked for me. In other words, the drive didn't disappear after a couple of seconds.

I guess that converter ignored the SMART alarms somehow ...

I hope this helps.

Archived