Corsair Community

Asus Rampage IV Extreme x2 32gb kits ?

Skinwrap

Hi

Im about to buy the Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard +3930k or the 3960x. And now wondering about what Ram to get.

I'm thinking of getting two 32gb kits, and want to make sure they will work together on this motherboard, making it 64gb in total system memory at 1600mhz.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme - Link

Eather of these in X2 configuration:

CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 - Link

CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 - Link

Thanks

Bottom line is there is no way to tell if two individual kits are used and have not been tested with each other.

I do understand that there are no 64gig kits yet, however Corsair does not suggest or support the use of more than one kit per MB.

So basically if you do purchase two kits and you run into issues there really isn't anything they can do. With the newer chipsets it is more important than ever to have matched modules. Might be worth waiting for the 64 gig kits to come out(when/if i couldn't tell you)

Just out of curiosity , what do you need 64 gig of RAM for? Or are you just wanting to max out the new MB's?

Think i found the answer, had to read through some other threads. Seems it will work just fine.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101975

working as a professional 3d artist, the more ram the better. Its also better to go down in speed if necessary, if it enables you to put in more ram.

last thing this will be used for is gaming.

Think i found the answer, had to read through some other threads. Seems it will work just fine.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101975

working as a professional 3d artist, the more ram the better. Its also better to go down in speed if necessary, if it enables you to put in more ram.

last thing this will be used for is gaming.

Im still holding off - it might be best to wait on proper kit.

Last thing i want is issues down the road when putting this on load.

unless i am assured its fine.

Yeah, that kind of confused me too. I spend alot of time here and that was the first time i saw Ram Guy suggest to purchase two kits. Even though Corsair does not support the use of two kits. Hopefully he can shed some light on this.

I would like to know as well, just for future reference as the new MB's come trickling in. I don't like to give people the wrong information if im not 100% sure.

I had something similar. I use the i7-3930K, the Asus P9X79 Deluxe and 2 x CMP32GX3M4X1600C10. It works save at 1333 MHZ since about one week ...

To run it higher than 1333 MHZ with 8 DIMM's oversteps the cpu spec's as I get known in the german part of this forum here.

"INTEL LGA 2011 CPU's 1600MHz up to 4 memory modules, 5 or more maximum 1333MHz."

cheers :)

fwiw going by memory (haha not pun :) ) and the pic on the Corsair front page i believe Vengeance sticks stand the best chance of mix and match. the pic even shows black and blue sticks installed on the same board.

you may want to consider the Vengeance series if you plan to combine kits for best results.

or just a single 32Gb kit, there are several listed here http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=2400137

@crea

That looks intressting, going down to 1333mhz is no problem at all for me. As there is nothing to gain from running 1600.

the gain comes from having more Ram to handle the work loads.

How has the system been running so far, Stable ?

If i may ask, what you throwing at it ? (what programs you using)

@Synthohol

Ahh, hmm intressting. what picture you talking about ? i dont seem to find it.

Anyways im open for suggestions. But if Crea can confirm stability with those kits, that might be it.

/cheers !

I remember a thread a while back where Ram Guy said the vengeance did have the best chance of mixing kits, but it still no guarentees.

I would think that if you went with the 1333mhz kits you would have the best chance. Keep it simple with no overclocking and less strain on your memory controller.

Your looking for capacity rather than speed anyway. So in your case that would probably be the best performance boost for you. Thats just my .02$! :)

@Skinwrap checked and validated by memtest unfortunally 1 dimm was inoperative after some days (one dimm was marked and shown as inoperative in the bios once, and after reboot all memory was marked as working).

There were definitely some issues with the mhz during the first 10 days of running ... the running mhz were not stable at all ... it's changing from time to time by rebooting.

The MB report during that was "overclocking failed" even I did not overclocked it ...

At the end ... I will check it out & report it twice with the dominator memory I already bought when I get my second kit back from service (hopefully next week) ...

As far as I tested the system successful when all was working I used memtest & prime.

Cheers

Thanks for the report Crea

Ill prob hang on a lil longer to see if theres a kit coming out anytime soon.

Just wish Corsair would hurry up. And focus insted on getting a proper kit out in 1333-1600, no silly 2k's and lable em "gaming" or something else.

/cheers !

:-D ..... I have my second kit back from service (I guess it's the same one) ... I updated the bios second time since I bought the board 4 weeks before and all is working save at 1333 MHz on a P9X79 Deluxe :)

-> In my case it was really necessary to look out for bios updates twice a week 4 weeks along ... ;)

have fun @Skinwrap ... I have! \o/

(... posting some benchmark/error results (prime/memtest etc. etc.) later somewhere else here in the forum)

Went with x2 CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 - couldent sitt and wait longer.

Rock solid stable, @1333 + vtt 1.23v + airflow 2 fans on both.

Hi Skinwrap,

I have the same setup as you, and I;m currently pondering to get which type of ram. I need 64 gb ram too. Thinking of getting eithier G.Skills or corsair. From what you posted, the 2 memory kits of CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 will only work at 1333, not 1600. Did you overclock your system ? I will be grateful to know if you can post your overclock settings to run stable at what CPU speed you are now on? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Best way to do it is as Ram guy suggested, install one kit and see that everything is running ok. Then install the second one and start tinkering the settings. Also your numbers will prob differ from mine.

That said i am OC'ing my system, running my CPU at 4.5ghz @ 1.375v. Im not pushing it further even if i could as im on Custom built watercooling. But to be honest you wont see much gain after 4.5, only in benchmarks. unless u get it to run 5ghz +, but i doubt that. these new cpus get prity hot nowdays

and i don't even bother with OC'ing my gpu as it will give even less noticeable gains.

Archived