Corsair Community

Can memory be my Problem?

MADPAL04

I am running 2gb memory, on my Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, mobo, in 4 banks DDR, (matched sets in banks 1&4,- 2&5, of Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PRO DDR400, ) A P4 3.2 ghz HT enabled processor, ATI Radeon 9600pro 256mb AGP graphics card, 2 WD740g Raptor HDD's running in RAID0, Antec 420w True Blue PS. I do regular Virus, adware, & spyware checks, disc clean-up, & defragment, & run a firewall. My system resources show very good, My Harddrives are not anywhere near full capacity. I show no hardware conflicts. A few weeks ago my Computer Associates EZ Armour AV/Firewall suite left a desktop message, saying I needed to update Virus definitions, when I did, my AV program gave me an error message that the update did not work & I was withoput active virus protection, after trying many fixes, that did not work, & unnable to get tech support from Computer Associates, I decided to install Norton System works, I first did adware/spyware checks, uninstalled all CA Virus & Firewall software, cleaned the register, clean disc, Defraged, & re-booted with no prob. shut down all Windows programs running, installed Norton SW, The Norton install shield ran a virus check, & found none, as soon as the install shield completed I got the [COLOR=Blue]DREADED WINDOWS BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, [/COLOR] with a coded error that flashed across the screen so fast that I couldn't even read it, after trying many fixes(re-setting BIOS.....) I booted in safe mode, un-installed Norton everything ok except monitor settings were at minimum, would not allow me to re-set them, no way, until I did a system restore. Someone told me this could be a bad memory module, can this be true? How can I test memory, I don't have easy access to additional memory to swap in for testing. The memory, as well as all of the hardware is only 5 months old & not overclocked. The system did crash in March for unknown reasons, I had to do a re-format that time. If not memory what else? How can I test things out? What should I do next?

• Corsair Employee
I would make sure that you have the latest bios and then set the timings to By SPD and set the Dim Voltage to +.2 Volts and you can use [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to test the memory! In addition, all of the modules will need to be exactly matched both in part# and revision.

Archived