Corsair Community

ASUS P5B-e Memory Upgrade

D33z

Hello Everyone, I need some decisoin making help please.

Listed below are my system specs that I believe are relevant to this case:

Hardware:

Motherboard

Asus P5B-E 1.01G 1807 BIOS

Processor

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 OC'd 3.2Ghz 1600 FSB

Memory (part number)

Corsair (XMS Series) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (XMS6404v2.1)

Power Supply

Hiper Type-R 580W Modular

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Video Card # 1

Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT upgrading to a BFG Tech GeForce GTX 275 OC 896MB (free)

Resources:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B-E/P5B-E_QVL.pdf

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57334

I am not sure what exactly I can buy these days to upgrade my memory because I know this is obsolete, but I'd rather upgrade to a better experience with what I have then to wish on a new build that I can't produce atm.

I now have the ram listed above in dual channel mode. When I built this setup I had windows xp, now I have windows 7 home premium. I need more ram and wanted to add 4GB's. I dont fully understand the memory controller limitations dealing with IC size, I do get it, but I'm not fully sure which to purchase. If at all possible, I'd like to hear all my possibilites. My current ram runs at ddr2 800 4-4-4-12 EPP by speed @ 2.1v 1:1 ratio @ 1600FSB with my cpu. Please consider overclocking timings and voltages. Ive had this current setup @ 3.5 Ghz 1750FSB with 2.1v on memory. I would like to run 6GB in dual channel mode: 2GB x 1GB x 2GB x 1GB Is this possible with different IC sizes and the system's memory controller? If not should I go 2GB x empty x 2GB x empty or 1GB x 1GB x 1GB x 1GB? Hope you guys understand my examples of possibilities. Money is a problem these days for me, but if I come across the best configuration possible for my system setup, I will gladly pay. I want to max it out the best I can and keep in use what I have if possible. I do not believe I will make use of 8GB for what I do on this machine. Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,

D33z

Your best bet is to just purchase a new 8 gig kit. That way all your modules are guaranteed to run at rated speed. If you decide to add to your existing memory there is a less than 50%chance that you will be able to run them at 800mhz , if they will run together at all.

This is because if what you mentioned above about the difference between IC's. If they all do not come from one single package then there is no way to tell if they will work together.

I do not believe I will make use of 8GB for what I do on this machine. Thanks for any and all help.

I understand you may not use that much, but it is better to have a little extra to keep the machine running smooth. Also I also suggested an 8 gig kit because of the IC issue again. To try for your target of 6 gigs would have to be made up of different size IC's. Thats just asking for trouble. You can scour through the forums here and find hundreds of posts of people who have tried the same thing and come up with nothing but trouble. Some do get lucky, but the majority do not.

Corsair does not suggest or support the mixing of memory either. Yes , even the same part numbers! :) Memory is packaged and intended to be sold as one kit per MB. So it's best to purchase the capacity you want right away and not try to add later.

Thanks for the heads up, I was pretty certain that would have been an issue. I really can't afford shipping costs to find a pair that would eventually work. I am on a strict budget, but I need to make a purchase soon, as ddr2 prices are rising. What do you think about 2 sets of these?:http://www.cedarpc.com/product/17240/CORSAIR-4GB-2-X-2GB--DDR2-RAM/ and if not these which set do you or the ram guy might recommend? Also with 4 sticks, will I still be able to keep my overclock @ 1600 FSB? Sorry if its a noob question, but I have never run more than 2 sticks.

Thank you for your time peanutz

D33z

What do you think about 2 sets of these?:http://www.cedarpc.com/product/17240...2GB--DDR2-RAM/ and if not these which set do you or the ram guy might recommend? Also with 4 sticks, will I still be able to keep my overclock @ 1600 FSB? Sorry if its a noob question, but I have never run more than 2 sticks.

Again, even two kits of the exact same memory can cause you the same exact issues. Without testing them together , there just is no way to tell you 100% that they will work with them selves or with the kit you already have.

Having not worked for a year now i understand the budget situation. But with DDR2 slowly being phased out it might be better to just wait untill you can upgrade your entire system and live with the amount of memory you have at the moment. Especially if you really do not need the extra memory or are just wanting to fill all four slots.

Thank you for your time peanutz

Anytime :)

Its a definite to upgrade, windows 7 just needs more memory.

With all 4 x 2GB sticks in that tested well together:

1. Will I still be able to hit my OC of 3.2 Ghz @ 1600hz?

2. Do you think 4GB is efficient for windows 7? I have noticed frame drops of 50fps in games like Counter-strike, this didn't happen on XP SP2 or SP3. Gaming and archiving are the most ram intense things I do, rarely is it that I do a video project.

3. A gtx 275 (directx 10) is offered to me for free or shud I get a cheap directx 11 card like $50 - 75? I would enjoy some new games out of this. :)

Thanks again

D33z

Archived