Corsair Community

Memory Upgrade

telvery

Hi Experts

Currently have this memory in my system

CMX12GX3M3A2000C9

Attached is the CPUZ screens for the memory (whatever it means I dont know.

Anyway, used the compatability tool and found I can stick in

CMT12GX3M3A2000C9

Does the 2000C9 mean that both memories run at the same speed.

When looking at CPUZ, which part tells you exacery how fast its running.

Thanks Trevor

1.thumb.jpg.900ed5e28a5868b7dbf15c616a8c1921.jpg

Does the 2000C9 mean that both memories run at the same speed.

No, that is tested speed. It means that if your CPU will overclock that high they will run at 2000 mhz at CAS LATENCY of 9. However i have not seen an I-7 950 get much over 1600mhz.

Memory frequency is highly dependent on CPU and the memory controller built within the CPU.

your CPU officially supports a max speed of 1333mhz. So anything over that will be overclocking. It is a common misconception that if a certain kit appears on a QVL that they will run that speed no matter what. That is not the case. Some CPU's have stronger/weaker memory controllers and most overclock differently. The I-7 950's are known for having pretty weak memory controllers though

Your memory now is only running at stock 1333mmhz. So you are not even taking advantage of the extra bandwith/frequency that you could.

When looking at CPUZ, which part tells you exactly how fast its running.

The MEM TAB where it says DRAM FREQUENCY, you take that number,in your case its 645.7 and multiply by 2. (DDR stands for double data rate)for a total of 1291 or roughly 1333mhz.

If you are looking to upgrade to 24 gig your bestbet is to buy a single matched 24gig kit. There is no way to guarantee that two kits no matter how similar or even the SAME part number will run together. Corsair does not suggest or support the mixing of memory that way and you will have no recourse if the two kits do not work together.

Archived