Corsair Community

HX1000 - RMA or ?

andyvee

My H1000 ( will be 2 next easter ) had a GTX590 cabled to 12V2 and has started black screening along with fans running 100% and the nvidia logo going out on the card .

After a lot of testing i narrowed it to the PSU and currently have the card powered from the top 2 blue connectors , ie 1from 12V1 and 1 from 12V2 . I know this is not a recommended config but wanted to check if a GTX 590 is too much for this PSU or whether the 12V2 line should handle it fine and the PSU is just faulty . Also on the 12V2 line i have 4 7200 HDD and 9 120/140mm fans plus an H50 .

If it does need to be replaced how would i go about getting an advance RMA and if i need to upgrade what would be the best option .

Thanks for looking in :D: .

Andy your best bet is to call CS once you get an RMA#(if you decide to) and talk the details over with them. They would be the ones to give you upgrade options and set up your advanced RMA if needed.

Do you know what your voltages are reading?

Your issue sounds an awful lot like what i just went through and one other forum member with the black out and the fans going to 100%. It was the 3.3v rail in our cases.

Thanks , I checked your earlier threads and it does seem very similar . I have started the rma process so will wait to hear from them . I have done some checking but I'm still not sure if running my gtx card with a cable from both the 12v rails is ok as according to spec you would use both the pci e cables from 12v2 but the card will also be getting voltage from the slot which is coming from 12v1 via the sys board , end result is its working for now until it gets replaced but dont want to damage my 590 in the meantime . I haven't tried putting the card onto both 12v1 connectors as I think that would be too uch with the board , proc etc unless anyone else has any ideas ?

My H1000 ( will be 2 next easter ) had a GTX590 cabled to 12V2 and has started black screening along with fans running 100% and the nvidia logo going out on the card .

After a lot of testing i narrowed it to the PSU and currently have the card powered from the top 2 blue connectors , ie 1from 12V1 and 1 from 12V2 . I know this is not a recommended config but wanted to check if a GTX 590 is too much for this PSU or whether the 12V2 line should handle it fine and the PSU is just faulty . Also on the 12V2 line i have 4 7200 HDD and 9 120/140mm fans plus an H50 .

If it does need to be replaced how would i go about getting an advance RMA and if i need to upgrade what would be the best option .

I have a thread with the same sort of problem. Mine is intermittent and I can't replicate it. Are you able too and if so how?

EDIT: What are your voltages also?

The HX1000 is a great PS, with an interesting design. It's really two 500 Watt power supplies in one chassis. One supplies the 12V1 and 5V rails, the other the 12V2 and 3.3V rails. Both of the 12V rails are rated for 40A, and are independent of each other, of course. Your issue is related mainly to the high power draw of your PC, and then the design of the HX1000. I'm not criticizing the HX1000, as most 1000+ Watt PSs are made like this.

As you know, the 12V1 rail supplies power to the mother board and CPU, and two of the modular PCI-E cables. The 12V2 rail supplies power to the two hard-wired PCI-E cables, the remaining two modular PCI-E cables, and all of the SATA and Molex peripheral cables. The 3.3V and 5V rails are used by the mother board, by some of the peripheral devices, and 3.3V power is available on the PCI-E Graphics (PEG) slot. This all sounds reasonable, and is. But now on to the "fun" parts...

The GTX590, is listed in the video card power consumption rating list that Corsair has posted, as drawing a maximum of 365 Watts (power limiter on!) At 12V, that is 30.42A. Yes, a maximum, and you did not describe when your PC is black-screening, is that while gaming or randomly?

I'll assume the worst case scenario, and say your card is drawing ~365 Watts/30.42A (maybe more, any power limiting on?) A PCI-E slot can provide 75 Watts maximum to a card, which includes 5.5A (66 Watts) of 12V power. Assuming a GTX590 draws 5.5A from the slot, that leaves a hair under 25A to be supplied by the PCI-E power cable(s)/12V rail.

So with a GTX590 at full blast, drawing 25A (300Watts) from the 12V2 rail (as in your original configuration), that leaves 15A/180 Watts remaining on the 12V2 rail. Guess-timating, nine fans at ~0.3A each, is ~ 32 Watts. Add one watt total for the H50, is 33 Watts. Four 7200 RPM HDDs, variable between drives, mine are rated for 0.7A at 12V, so ~33 Watts. So, 180W - 66W is 114 Watts remaining (366 Watts used on 12V2.)

I have not accounted for the 3.3V draw on that rail, which seems to be supplied by the 12V2 power supply. Actually, the 30A the 3.3v rail is rated (99 Watts) at would leave 400 Watts for the 12V2, for a total of 500 Watts, the rated max for each of the two power supply sections. By my calculation, you're under the 400 Watt level, at 366 Watts, assuming full draw on the 3.3V rail, which is unlikely.

So your first configuration is fine, if close to the limit, you have no problem... ;):

I would say that your entire PC, not just the GTX590, is approaching the limit of the HX1000. This is a case where a single, very high power 12V rail, looks like the better option. IMO, the 12V1 side of your PS is under-utilized, due to the cable configuration and your usual usage.

Are your HDDs in a RAID array? If so, they are running much more often then in JBOD, and use more power. If you add anything else to that PC, you'll be pushing the 12V2 supply even harder.

If you can RMA that PS, you'll likely get a HX1050, since the HX1000 is not available. You may need an AX1200, for more headroom. Your HX1000 might have one bad component somewhere, which is a shame, since it really should be able to handle your PC. IMO, if your '590 has two PCI-E power inputs, using one cable from each 12V supply would really be optimal.

@ Magel - Yes i can replicate it just by firing up something that stresses the GPU , AvP benchmark or starting any recent game will show the issue within a few seconds . Voltages look ok when checking in bios but i'm pretty sure its either breaking down underload or i'm pulling too much . i have noticed that everything is ok when the machine has just cold started so guess thermals have a bit to do with it although the PSU never gets more than slightly warm and my GPU maxes at low 70's which is pretty good for a 590 which is factory overclocked .

@ Parsec - Thanks for the info , an informative post and yeah i agree i think i may be hitting the limits here as it only black screens etc under load , hopefully someone from Corsair will reply tomorrow and let me know if running it the way i am is bad for my card as the HX1000 from what i read is a true multi-rail , so far its working fine but dont want to blow a £750 card , or if they say the PSU should handle this and its just faulty ?

Andy, i dont think you can hurt your card from starving it from power if that is what is happening. You will simply get the issues you already have. Built in voltage regulators on the card should protect it from spikes, but starving it is just going to cause it to not run.

My cheap video card's fan runs at 100% when I install an OS, and before I get the video driver and control software loaded. It sounds like your card "loses it's mind" under your circumstances, it's firmware/BIOS is not running or just fails. As Peanutz said, I doubt it is being damaged when that happens. Can you lower it's voltage a bit to see if that helps? Of course, seemingly abusing an expensive card is scary... :eek:

i did try lowering the card down a fair way but all it did was slightly increase the time before it black screened :[pouts: , only way out at that point is a power-cycle . Been running all day cabled " incorrectly " and had 0 issues so far .

My cheap video card's fan runs at 100% when I install an OS, and before I get the video driver and control software loaded. It sounds like your card "loses it's mind" under your circumstances, it's firmware/BIOS is not running or just fails. As Peanutz said, I doubt it is being damaged when that happens. Can you lower it's voltage a bit to see if that helps? Of course, seemingly abusing an expensive card is scary... :eek:

According to nvidia support the card is basically being told to switch off from what i told them over live chat .

Tried lowering voltage a little but still same result albeit it may take a few minutes longer before it all lets go .

Yep , its been in a friends machine who gotta xxtec 1200 and had no problems . Its also working fine here with it using 1 connector from each rail of the Hx1000 , it just seems to need more than the 12v2 or 12v1 can give it , 12v1 is fair enough as it has my board and cpu , 12v2 however has a load of fans and drives which i can't be moved to 12v1 because of the design / cabling of the psu and this 590 is overclocked as standard so may be pulling more than 365w on its own .

My main concern still is if its " safe " running the way i am :confused: , if not then would it be replaced by an HX1050 single rail psu if it was rma'd ( i have an rma already but not sent it yet as tbh i dont think its faulty , just overloaded ) .

Just done some quick calculations from specs on my kit - drives , fans , etc - and it would seem that i could be pulling 42-47 amps on 12v2 at full load :-( .

So i now ordered a HX1050 and will sell off the HX1000 , i presume this should be more than enough for my machine now , did'nt bite on the AX1200 as too many posts with issues . Please cancel the RMA unless you believe the unit is actually faulty .

The only question i have is are the sata / molex cables the same between the units or should i use the ones that come with the new PSU ? ( just trying to save recabling as much as possible ) .

Update - New HX1050 now installed and everything seems fine even under full load so looks like HX1000 just could'nt manage with all my toys .

Only one thing to check , i get one click on powerdown / up , i presume this is normal , just sounds like a mechanical relay , apart from that i'm back to being a happy camper :D: .

Archived