Corsair Community

Should Win7 see my new SSD by default?

JustinOhio

I just got my Corsair Force GT 120g. I will be using this on a new installation once I get my new motherboard and processor. But for now, I wanted to plug it in, and update it if needed. So I plugged the drive in and the post sees the drive and even shows it as 1.3.3 (which I believe is already the latest firmware). Once Windows 7 starts though, I don't see the drive listed. Have I missed something or should it just show up right away? I do have AHCI enabled in the BIOS.

Okay, should I not do this if I'm planning on using this as the install drive for my new system? I just wanted to be assured that my drive actually worked by hooking it up. Is it safe to assume that it does at this point? If I did quick format and initialize the drive, will that effect how my new installation goes or could it cause problems? Thanks for your help.

If I did quick format and initialize the drive, will that effect how my new installation goes or could it cause problems?

It is safe to do this, this won't cause any problems. However, if you do this, you can (but don't have to) SecureErase the SSD with PartedMagic before you install Windows 7 onto this drive. This will delete any data in flash cells and set the device back to factory default.

So just for fun... I decided to try installing a new copy of Win7 on the drive with my current system. It installs windows fine, but will lock up during any subsequent reboot after the windows installation. I have tried 3 times and it's all the same thing. I currently have an EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI motherboard and a Q8300 processor. The drive is working in my regular Win7 installation however.. Any ideas?

Okay, so it seems shutting of ACHI fixes that problem so it does boot. Even after installing microsoft's little script to fix the AHCI issues in Win7 it still has problems with AHCI on, usually a lot of hanging. The system will stop responding for about 30 seconds or more with the HD light staying solid. I've noticed some other hiccups here and there even with AHCI off though. I hope when I get my new board that this won't be an issue anymore.

Archived