Corsair Community

AX1200 issues

Psychor

First, I love your PSU line. I think I'm up to 4 now. ;)

I bought an early AX1200 that had the "whine" issue and it was resolved with a replacement. However, I did notice at the time that when the PSU would turn on (flip the switch in the back) it would cause my APC SUA1500 UPS to trip to battery. Even though the load on the APC was low I didn't think much of it as the PSU was powering a high end system.

However, today when I pulled the PSU out of storage to test some fans I noticed that it not only caused my APC SMT1500 UPS to trip to battery but it caused my APC SurgeArrest to report a building wiring fault. This happens each time I turn on the PSU without or without a fan attached (no PC is attached). I'm able to power it on as I have an adapter on the 24-pin cable to start the PSU. The respective outlets to which everything connects have been tested both my myself and an electrician and are fine.

Something doesn't seem right here. None of my other PSUs (e.g., HX1000) exhibits this behavior. I own a SMT1500, SUA1500 and a SUA2200RM2U. These units are beyond rock solid so I have no issue with them.

Thank you.

UPDATE: My SMT1500 is able to detect load in terms of percentage. I decided to switch my PSU on and off a few times (short the pins) and noticed that with nothing attached the UPS I was hitting 30% according to the SMT1500. That's ~ 294 watts. Is that normal with NOTHING else on the PSU?

well i don't how you and the electrician tested your circuit but i had to run a dedicated electrical supply from my home's breaker box to my home office as my APC XS1500 sounded it's alarm each time i pushed the power button on my gaming tower with my AX1200 Corsair and all is good now.

i had a cheap 950watt before and it did not cause the alarm to trip but it also would not power up my computer after i installed 2 GTX 580's in sli.

so i think you need to take a look at your AC supply again

well i don't how you and the electrician tested your circuit but i had to run a dedicated electrical supply from my home's breaker box to my home office as my APC XS1500 sounded it's alarm each time i pushed the power button on my gaming tower with my AX1200 Corsair and all is good now.

i had a cheap 950watt before and it did not cause the alarm to trip but it also would not power up my computer after i installed 2 GTX 580's in sli.

so i think you need to take a look at your AC supply again

Well I'm not an electrician but according to a licensed electrician my home wiring is just fine. From outlet to breaker box. The AX1200 is connected to an outlet which is on a 15A circuit. The circuit power two rooms in my house. One room is empty (no lights, etc.) and the other is my office which is pulling well under what the circuit can provide. I also own a host of other PSU and this is the ONLY PSU that exhibits these issues.

Re-read my original post. I'm having this issue with nothing attached to the PSU. The PSU is attached to an APC, with a load rating of ~ 980 watts, and is the only device attached to the APC. The issue clearly is the PSU. What I don't know is why.

It's possible it's not compatible with your UPS. Corsair's PSU's need a Pure Sine Wave UPS. And from what i can gather on the net is that there is a difference between "normal Sine Wave" that your UPS is, and a Pure Sine Wave" UPS.

I went through the product information for that UPS Here I did not see any mention at all about Pure Sine Wave technology any where.*shrugs*

I may be way off, but it's about all i could dig up. Hopefully Ram Guy will see this today and have a definitive/better answer than mine:biggrin:

It's possible it's not compatible with your UPS. Corsair's PSU's need a Pure Sine Wave UPS. And from what i can gather on the net is that there is a difference between "normal Sine Wave" that your UPS is, and a Pure Sine Wave" UPS.

I went through the product information for that UPS Here I did not see any mention at all about Pure Sine Wave technology any where.*shrugs*

I may be way off, but it's about all i could dig up. Hopefully Ram Guy will see this today and have a definitive/better answer than mine:biggrin:

All my UPS (SUA1500, SMT1500, SUA2200RM2U) generate pure sine wave on battery. When not on battery they allow pass through. I would not buy a UPS that doesn't produce a pure sine wave. APC does not have current listings for either of my SUA as they have been replaced by the SMT line. That being said both SUA generate a pure sine wave.

SMT1500: "Pure sine wave output on battery: Simulates utility power to provide the highest degree of compatibility for active PFC (power factor corrected) servers and sensitive electronics." - http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT1500&total_watts=50&tab=features

I appreciate all the input. I'm hoping to catch the eye of the RMA guy.

• Corsair Employees

The 1200ax takes about 10-11amps on full load.

On a 15amp circuit with others devices you could easily exceed this and trip the breakers.

Can you try to isolate this and only turn on your computer and make sure nothing else is drawing power on the same circuit?

The 1200ax takes about 10-11amps on full load.

On a 15amp circuit with others devices you could easily exceed this and trip the breakers.

Can you try to isolate this and only turn on your computer and make sure nothing else is drawing power on the same circuit?

I feel that people are either not reading or misunderstanding my original post :confused:

This happens each time I turn on the PSU without or without a fan attached (no PC is attached).

UPDATE: My SMT1500 is able to detect load in terms of percentage. I decided to switch my PSU on and off a few times (short the pins) and noticed that with nothing attached the UPS was hitting 30% according to the SMT1500. That's ~ 294 watts. Is that normal with NOTHING else on the PSU?

I have NO computer attached to the PSU. So there should be no real load on the PSU. I've merely shorted the pin to get the PSU to start.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/large/products/ATX-START_t_LRG.jpg

At the most I've attached a single fan to the PSU and that is when I first noticed this issue. The PSU should not be anywhere near load.

Thank you.

• Corsair Employees

Yes Psychor I did catch that and my point is let me re-word it.

There two possible issues (Maybe More) here from what I can see as mentioned by peanutz94 this can be caused by the sign wave issue. But I see that you posted this "

SMT1500: "Pure sine wave output on battery: Simulates utility power to provide the highest degree of compatibility for active PFC (power factor corrected) servers and sensitive electronics." - http://www.apc.com/products/resource...0&tab=features

So I assume that is a Pure Sign wave unit from that statement.

Or as I stated it could also be a load issue on the circuit

"my APC Surge Arrest to report a building wiring fault."

That statement is the reasoning however, this type of issue is hard to trouble shoot. Do you have any problems with out the APC in Line? Or have you had any issues with the House Breaker?

The other possibility is that there something wrong with the APC or PSU? So in this case I don't have a problem replacing the PSU if you want to try that just contact our Customer service with your previous RMA # and they will take care of you. However I would suggest speaking with APC and get their take on the errors and maybe trying a grounded Extension cord and try another out let.

Yes Psychor I did catch that and my point is let me re-word it.

There two possible issues (Maybe More) here from what I can see as mentioned by peanutz94 this can be caused by the sign wave issue. But I see that you posted this "

So I assume that is a Pure Sign wave unit from that statement.

Or as I stated it could also be a load issue on the circuit

That statement is the reasoning however, this type of issue is hard to trouble shoot. Do you have any problems with out the APC in Line? Or have you had any issues with the House Breaker?

The other possibility is that there something wrong with the APC or PSU? So in this case I don't have a problem replacing the PSU if you want to try that just contact our Customer service with your previous RMA # and they will take care of you. However I would suggest speaking with APC and get their take on the errors and maybe trying a grounded Extension cord and try another out let.

Thanks for getting back to me RAM GUY. Yes, I'd like to try to RMA it.

I know what outlets are on each circuit in my home. On the circuit in question, besides the AX1200 I've been testing, there's a monitor, a pair of powered speaker, a modest PC, a few CFL lights and a SMT1500 UPS. The circuit is far from being taxed. The one device that does bring a circuit to its knees is my laser printer and that is on a separate circuit and is currently powered off. I even went as far as to place a WATT/AMP meter at each of the outlets to verify that the 15A circuit was not being taxed.

I have no issue with any of my UPS devices when using any other PSU. All my other PSU happen to be Corsair PSUs. ;): The only problem PSU is the AX1200. Let me ask you this... with nothing attached to an AX1200 (pins shorted so this is possible) what should it pull in terms of amps and watts when turned on?

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: My SMT1500 is able to detect load in terms of percentage. I decided to switch my PSU on and off a few times (short the pins) and noticed that with nothing attached the UPS I was hitting 30% according to the SMT1500. Is that normal with NOTHING else on the PSU?

So I dug out my old VX550 and performed the same test as above. The UPS registers a 5% load with the VX550. Something is definitely not right in the land of the AX1200 if it

s registering a 30% load on the same UPS. Remember, both PSU have NO HARDWARE attached to them.

Archived