I am running the following system:

• Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
  • Corsair AX850 PS
  • EVGA X79 MB
  • EVGA 570 HD SC Video
  • Intel 3930K CPU
  • Noctua NH-D12 SE2011 Cooler

It was a really smooth build except:

1. I had to pop the heat spreaders on the RAM to get them to fit under the cooler. I confirmed with the Corsair support guy on the phone twice to make sure it would not dump my warranty (kinda cool of Corsair). I would rather buy Corsair than some other brand's low profile kit. But, I sure with Corsair made a low profile 8GB DIMM (hint hint). It is a real hassle popping those heat spreaders.

2. I had to lower the voltage on the RAM from 1.6V detected by XMP (is this an XMP parameter?) to 1.5V to meet the Corsair memory spec.

So, I load up the OS (Windows 7) and am off to the races. Then I get these strange freezes and reboots randomly. Sometimes right away. Sometimes not for 30 minutes. So, after many hours looking elsewhere, I decide to look at the RAM.

I run MEMTEST86+ v4.2 (darn it takes a while to do a pass on 32 GB) and get a bunch of errors in one GB of RAM. I start pulling DIMMs (of course the last one is the problem... sigh). One DIMM alone gets lots of errors in memory Slot 0. I try two other DIMMs from the kit alone in Slot 0 and they work fine. So, it looks like I have a bad stick.

Is there anything else I can try? Memtest failing on a specific stick but not on others in the same slot seems like the kiss of death. But, I have not built a system in a while. Thought I would ask before I RMA.

Thanks! -Robert

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but I think you may have misunderstood removing the heat spreader will VOID the warranty.

I would reinstall the H/S and then request an RMA using the link on the left but keep in mind if they fail visual inspection they may refuse the RMA.

Archived